The Sorting hat

"Is it true, then? What they're saying on the train?"

Standing in the doorway of the Great Hall, Harry turned and spotted a boy his age with platinum hair, smirking at him. 

"Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." The boy said. 

Everyone looked around, whispering amongst themselves. "Harry Potter? Here, at Hogwarts?" The students whispered in different variations.

"This is Crabbe, and Goyle. And I'm Malfoy." He says, walking towards Harry. "Draco Malfoy."

Ron snickers beside Harry. I mean, who would name their kid Draco?

"Think my name is funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley." Draco taunted. Ron looked down in shame. 

"You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Pottah. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Draco says, offering his hand to Harry. 

Harry, being smart, stayed silent while Draco was tapped politely on the shoulder. Spinning around, he realized it was the one and only head of Gryffindor house, the legendary CAT QUEEN, Minerva McGonagall. 

Minnie cleared her throat while Draco scrambled back to his spot. How much shame would he bring to his father if he got in trouble on the first day of school? 

"It is time to begin." Minerva said simply. "The sorting will take place after this speech by your headmaster, Albus Dumbledore."

"Hello everybody! Welcome to a new year at hogwarts! I have a few start-of-year notices I would like to announce to our first years. Please note, that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor, on the right-hand side, is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you. Now, FOR THE SORTING!" 

The hat on the stool began to sing. 

 "Oh you may not think I'm pretty,

But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be."

Harry's jaw had reached the floor. He'd never seen anything like this before.

"You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Minerva steps to the platform and unrolls a parchment with a list of names on it. "Now when I call  your name, you will come forth, I shall place the Sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. During your stay at Hogwarts, your house will be like your family." 

(A/N I know that its alphabetical but I don't want to write all the people so just pretend that I wrote all of them ok? KK byeeeee)

"Hermione Granger." 

Hermione sighed and walked up, crossing her fingers for a good house, though she didn't even know what house she wanted.

The Sorting Hat squirmed on her head. "What to do... what to do... Brave? Oh, yes, very brave. But smart, and... Oh! I know! Let's go with... RAVENCLAW!" It announced. The Ravenclaws cheered as Hermione made her way over to the table. She decided to sit next to a nice-looking girl who had been sorted into Ravenclaw only a few minutes ago. 

Sticking out her hand and smiling, she introduced herself. "I'm Hermione Granger. What's your name?" She asked the girl. 

"Luna Lovegood!" The girl said, very cheerily.

After another few people were called, McGonagall called "Ronald Weasley."

Ron nervously smiled at Harry before walking towards the stool and sitting. The hat had barely touched his head before it yelled "AH! ANOTHER WEASLEY! I KNOW JUST WHAT TO DO WITH YOU! HUFFLEPUFF!"

Ron sighed in relief and went to join his brothers at the Hufflepuff table.

All the other first years were called until finally only two remained. 

"Draco Malfoy." 

Draco opened his previously squeezed shut eyes and took a deep breath, slowly making his way to the stool. He was relieved to not be the very last person to be sorted. 

To Draco's surprise, the hat gave no comments at all. The only thing it said was "SLYTHERIN!" After it was placed. He went to join Crabbe and Goyle at the Slytherin table. 

"Harry Potter." Minerva said, a subtle hint of curiosity and excitement laced in her voice. 

Harry looked around the teacher's table. There were 3 specific teachers staring him down, ready to know exactly what kind of person he is. Albus Dumbledore. Minerva McGonagall. And one he didn't know yet. A man with long, greasy black hair and a crooked nose. 

He walked towards the stool as the whispers from the houses came to a halt. It became eerily quiet in the Great hall.

"Harry... Potter." The Sorting hat broke the silence. "The Boy who Lived." The hat squirmed and hummed, mumbling to itself so quietly not even Harry could hear what it was saying. 

After about 6 minutes, the Hat made it's decision. 

"SLYTHERIN!"

(925 words)

(Hope you liked this chapter! I'll try to update again maybe tomorrow)