Chapter 8

Third person pov

Minato was pacing, pacing, and then pacing some more. Hiruzen watched with no small amount of amusement as his successor practically wore a hole in the floor. He was like an anxious lion prowling back and forth, his nose scrunched and his brow furrowed.

They'd spent the day catching Minato up. He was quick to memorize what needed to be known and asked inquisitive questions that proved to further his knowledge on what he'd missed out on. Hiruzen arranged for an announcement for Minato's reinstatement as Hokage to be made in as soon as a few days, eager to get this hat off his head and back onto the blonde young man's. 

Konoha was already abuzz with anticipation, ready to accept their Fourth Hokage back with open arms and open hearts. He'd been much missed, and his official return was being much anticipated. The streets were alight with celebration already, colored lanterns lighting up the busier districts every night since the news broke as people gathered and cheered.

Hiruzen did momentarily have to wonder if Minato was ready to accept them back. He was not the same man he had been before, warped slightly by this new future. There were grimaces of distaste when certain things were talked about, and questions coated in sharp, tempered steel still hot from the forge. His blue eyes had almost seemed to glow as he leaned forward, head cocked in a manner near eerie. 

He wanted to know why his son had been treated so horribly in his absence. In his shoes, who wouldn't? He wanted to know if it would've changed had he not appeared when he did. Naruto was the hero of the village-- he'd taken on a burden he hadn't wanted, and he'd done so successfully. He was the village's jinchuuriki. If anything, he was an individual to be cherished and praised. A little boy who had more strength than he realized.

Truth be told, Hiruzen had drawn a blank when showered in inquiries like these. He sweat under the cold, unfamiliar gaze shot at him. Opening his mouth to spew out excuses felt too much like a misstep. He was teetering on the edge of... something. What that was, Hiruzen wouldn't claim to know. 

It felt dangerous. Like Minato had reached the end of his very long rope in the blink of an eye, and was just waiting for someone to make another slip up. His love for his son was not to be underestimated. Despite having missed out on Naruto's youngest years, that did not mean he cared for his son any less. His adoration for him was still just as strong as it had ever been-- possibly even stronger now that he'd gotten a chance to meet and bond with the boy.

Back at the matter at hand-- Minato could hardly focus on anything. The academy had let out not too long ago, yet the Fourth was still antsy as ever. The moment the clock hit half past three he was nearly about to blow a gasket, standing up with newfound abruptness and some odd form of determination. 

The paperwork they'd been looking over was left abandoned as he walked the length of the room, smacking at his face every so often as though trying to snap himself out of something and shaking his head. Kushina would surely be cackling if she could see her husband now. Hiruzen wondered if maybe, somewhere, she was.

A knock at the door drew The Third away from more morose thoughts. Minato whirled so fast you'd have thought he used Hirashin to turn, tearing open the double doors with gusto and a hopeful expression. Kakashi was on the other side just as expected, fist raised to knock. Pakkun trotted past Minato's feet with a frustrated expression marring his wrinkled face. 

Hiruzen could recall the ninken being grumpy on the few occasions he'd actually seen him, but right now it look downright irate. Seeing Naruto's shaking form, he had a sinking feeling there was a good reason as to why. He took a long drag of his pipe as Minato's form tensed.

Minato's expression dropped. It delved into something darker as Kakashi stepped in, his lone eye grim and bordering on apologetic. Minato immediately looked like he'd been punched, looking at the small, quivering form in Kakashi's arms with growing panic in his expression.