Chapter 20

Third person pov

Naruto doesn't tell Mr. Yamanaka about Kurama crying. He doesn't tell anyone about Kurama crying, because he knows that would be a step too far. If he were to cry in a vulnerable situation, he knows he wouldn't appreciate it being spread around to strangers. Especially if he were someone like Kurama, who put on a rough exterior to try and seem aloof to things like emotion and sentiment.

Because he was keeping the crying under wraps, it also meant he had to keep the progress of their hug to himself too. If people knew Kurama had allowed Naruto to hug him without trying to eat him-- or whatever large, grumpy rats in cages did-- they'd want to know why Naruto had hugged him in the first place. 

Naruto could always lie about the reasons, of course. It just didn't feel particularly right to, especially since he was supposed to be as honest as possible in therapy. Therefore, it was his call to omit the details. Besides, he didn't think Kurama would really want people to know he'd allowed himself to be hugged either. It totally went against his whole though-guy image. 

The one thing he did share, however, was the presence of their new flower. A mark of real progress that Naruto honestly hadn't thought he'd be seeing anytime soon. He'd told the doggies first upon rolling out of bed, since they were all sprawled about his bed and on the floor asleep. They'd been overjoyed to hear the news. 

His dad had picked him up and spun him in a big, exuberant circle when Naruto had launched out of his room to make the announcement, nearly bowling him over in the hall in the process. Minato had nearly cried, he'd been so happy. Kakashi had grinned and lifted him up on his shoulder, and they'd spent the morning drawing fields made up of the same type of daisy that Naruto had seen grow in his mindscape, with the occasional guest appearance of a fruit tree or two. Kurama would need things to snack on, after all.

"I don't feel any different about myself." Naruto said contemplatively. Ayumu was sat next to him on a nearby bench whilst they watched the platoon of jonin and various ANBU who'd be accompanying them to Suna rush about with supplies, trying to get everything organized before they departed. "I know it's only a single flower, but you'd think I'd have noticed at least something having changed."

Honestly, Naruto had a theory that the flower wasn't actually his, but Kurama's instead. That when he'd overheard Naruto talking to Ayumu, maybe a part of him had believed what Naruto said. Maybe he'd really taken it to heart, because it was being said out loud in the real world, and maybe he'd finally let some of the words sink in instead of him just allowing them to roll off his back when Naruto hugged him.

"Even if you don't immediately notice a difference, that doesn't mean no progress was made. This is only the beginning, Naruto. Now that it's started, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the rest of your flower field follows." Ayumu smiled at him encouragingly. He was dressed in his jonin vest rather than the more casual clothing he normally wore in the office during their meetings, headband wrapped around his forehead. 

"I guess you're right. I wish there was a way to make even more grow, even faster." Naruto pouted, kicking his feet out slightly. He rested his hand on Pakkun's head, the pug asleep in his lap. "Kurama deserves the best, you know? I think we're really getting closer! At least, I hope we are. He's so cool, believe it!" 

"I believe it, Naruto. He sounds like a good friend." Ayumu agreed genuinely, and Naruto felt a pleased sort of flame light in his chest. He liked it when other people said good things about Kurama. Kurama totally deserved it. If he'd really been shunned his whole life, called a monster, and locked away-- well, that was the worst thing in the world. Naruto knew first hand how sad and bitter that could make a person.