11

*Katie*

"Um, did you ask where we got our training?" I asked Dick.

"Uh, yes, that's what I asked." Dick said.

"Oh! Well, we trained with the U.S. Army, the Coast Guard, firefighters, and other rescue ops teams." Zach answered.

"You're avoiding the question, so I'll ask again, where or who trained you?" Dick asked once more.

I looked at Zach, and he looked at me. A silent message, 'Should we tell the truth?'

I sighed and opened my mouth. "Please, tell us what you want to hear."

"Your battle moves are similar to that of the League of Assassins and the Court of Owls." Damian said.

"Okay, we'll tell you the truth. But before we do, we need your help." Zach began.

"What help?" Tim asked.

"We may have made a deal with the devil." I said. Everyone gasped.

"What do you mean?" Bree asked.

"Perhaps we should hear the backstory?" Alfred's voice startled everyone.

"Yes, so talk." Bruce grunted.

"Okay, we were sent to kill the Gray Son's family. We were also sent to kill the heir to be the next Demon's Head's family. " Zach answered.

"Um, if you think that is explaining your situation, it's not." Dick said.

"Okay. During the time we were living on our own, when we moved to Adventure Bay, we both were captured by the Court of Owls. They trained us, hoping that we might be able to compete a mission for them one day. Once we completed all of their training classes, they sent us to train with the League of Assassins." I began, staring at the ground.

"The League trained us further, they also wanted us to complete a mission for them. After learning all that we could from both the Court and the League, they sent us to train with all of the previously mentioned rescue ops teams. That was their cover story for us. From there, we ran away. We were both fed up with the training that we didn't even want to take part in. We eventually found our way back to Adventure Bay, I have been living as charity cases for the past five years." Zach continued.

"How long did you say you were with the Court and the League?" Bruce asked.

"About two years. A little time after I turned thirteen and my grandma turned me loose, and a little while after Zach turned thirteen as well is the timeframe from when they first captured us." I answered.

"And did you know who the Gray Son or the grandson of the Demon's Head were when you were given the mission?" Dick asked. We shook our heads.

"No. We were only given a picture of you in your Talon uniform. And as for Damian, we only saw a picture of Robin." Zach said.

"Can you tell us why we need to kill the lot of you? We were only given the mission, but no reasons behind it." I asked.

"I'm the Gray Son, the great-grandson of the late William Cobb, the original leader of the Court of Owls. When I was fifteen, I was kidnapped by them, trained by them to be the next leader. Technically, I am the leader, but I ran away before they could add the finishing touches to me. I suppose whoever is leading the Court now wants me dead so that I won't have a chance to lead." Dick explained.

"But that doesn't tell us why we need to kill the whole family." Zach stated.

"Perhaps I can be of assistance. I believe that both parties believe if any of the wanted people are alive, then, once the two people are assassinated, they remained family members will go on revenge missions to destroy the murderers. The entire family must be killed in order for their organizations to thrive. If you have not already noticed, their schemes have been stopped multiple times by you. The vigilantes always interfere with their plans, so they must be gotten rid of. And what other way is there to rid Gotham of its family of vigilantes?" Alfred stepped in and explained.