Chapter Seventy-Nine

[Content Warning: Death of Parent]

 [Spitfire : Chapter Seventy-Nine]

20 June, 1997

Cassie hadn't expected to spend the first day of summer as a shop owning entrepreneurial rescue operative but here she was, spending her first day of summer as a shop owning entrepreneurial part-time rescue operative. Diagon Alley was shrouded in fire, the streets and shops alike. Chaos ensued with people either running for their lives, or running toward the fires to try and tame them before they became even more disastrous. The young were pulling bodies out of ash-filled shops, mostly the elderly who had been too prideful to leave their business as the world was ending around them.

Cassie was trying to create a barrier around Miss Pudgens Freaky Fudge Shop before it spread to the Magic Barber beside it, but it was no use--the shop on the opposite side of the fudge shop was already catching the sweet-smelling outlet alight.

When she found no use in her attempts, she had to solemnly tell Miss Pudgens that her shop was gone, and she had to leave Diagon Alley immediately. The poor woman wept as she ran through ankle-high flames, joining the rest of her family that was calling her from the brick wall. With a deep sigh, Cassie continued to another spot to lessen the flames.

Fred was trying to ease the green fire that consumed the joke shop while George and Angelina fought hand-in-hand against a pair of celebrating Death Eaters who shouted the killing curse like the common 'hello' and 'goodbye'

The chaos began hours before when about a dozen figures emerged from Knockturn Alley, drunk and shouting in a celebratory manner. One thing led to the other, and half of Diagon Alley was on fire with flames uncontrollable. It wasn't an accident either, a poor decision made by some drunken soul, the fires were meant to consume and destroy--which it had already done to many businesses and souls within minutes.

Cassie and Fred discovered Weasley's Wizard Wheezes were on fire when the Little Elf ran into their room with her fabric dress alight with flames. The couple then emerged in the main shop-area to find the Nutcracker knocking over every type of potion he saw in order to diminish the flames. However, despite his good intentions, the potions only seemed to make the flames worse--hence why a quarter of Diagon Alley was shrouded by green fire rather than orange or red.

Cas could feel the fire burning against her ankles, but despite the pain she continued running. Owls, recently released by their falconer in order to prevent an overdose of cooked birds in their burning shop, flew all over the skys. They hooe'd in panic, not understanding what was happening or where to go. Cassie looked up to the sky, wishing she could tell the beautiful beasts how valid their confusion was--she had no idea what she was doing. In Hogwarts there were never lessons to practice fire safety, especially not magical fire safety. They tried wtaer but the flames only seemed to inhale it like fuel, they tried the gravel from the streets to suffocate it but the flames were too quick for the Earth's appendage.