Chapter Sixty

[tw: drug withdrawal]

[Spitfire : Chapter Sixty]

27  June, 1995

Unsurprisingly, the chaos of June 27th was started by the hands of a thirty-five year old man. In all fairness, he had a reason to exaggerate the importance of the day. Though, what originally began as a fair game to erupt a smile on his kins face, turned into a match of life or death with Molly Weasley shouting hail-Mary when she found one of her children frozen from their toe to their longest strand of hair.

It was Cassie's birthday, and Sirius Black unintentionally made her seventeenth birthday the most memorable of all.

Currently, Cassie was all alone in a third-floor bedroom littered with doxie poo and cobwebs. She hid behind a dresser the size of herself that would occasionally shake and squeal, her wand was pointed toward the door, becoming more and more steady whenever she heard footsteps passed.

Sirius Black was on a roll, having frozen up to three people—and one of those people for their second time. He wasn't originally supposed to play, either, he was just to explain the directions—but using a magical artifact to redirect a freezing jinx, he snatched a frozen Wendy Collin's birch wood wand and joined the game himself.

Hermione Granger didn't participate in the game, mainly seeing as she had no way to play—she was underage. So, she hid all by her lonesome in the midsts of Buckbeaks fluffy feathers while reading Of Mice and Men for the second time. Ron was on his way to join her, but Fred Weasley had stunned him in the kitchen.

Ginny used the art of sneak attacks to play, as she was wandless as well—she used her fists and the closest throw pillow to play the game. She managed to frighten Bill so badly, he lent up his superior act and froze himself for her benefit in the game.

      Ron was unfrozen by his mother, and moments later frozen again by Sirius Black.

      Wendy was frozen, with a snarl sculpted on her expression.

      And Lupin was on the couch, frozen as well—his hands stuck in a position holding page four of the Daily Prophet open.

      Fred was apparating in each room of the house, careful to keep himself from joining the stunned. George was holding the stairwell, shooting a stunner whenever there was the slightest change of sunlight—which wasn't the wisest choice, as he had almost froze his furious mum.

       The door Cassie stood beside began to rattle, its century-old doorknob turning slowly and creakily. The door cracked barely an inch, and the tip of someone's wand poked through. Cassie sucked in a breath, keeping herself as still and silent as possible.