Here In My Heart

The feeling of "I want to protect this" is always here in my heart... ~ Massive Wonders, Mizuki Nana

xxxxxx

Though Hammie might not have realized, it was evident that the tone of her voice upon speaking those words had stirred something in Stinger that made him face the space ninja. She was still looking at the area, but it seemed that her attention wasn't on it.

She's probably thinking of something... Of course, it was an obvious thing if her could see her staring almost in a daze like that. But for some reason, he could tell that her current stream of thoughts had something to do with those nightmares that he never realized she kept on seeing every night.

"It didn't even come to me that we're actually dealing with the same thing," Stinger could only say as he, too, looked at the area once again. "If I had known that the nightmares were the reason that you acted strange for weeks..."

Hammie faced Stinger when she heard him trailing off and didn't continue his words. "What would you have done if you had really known?" It was weird to ask such a question with a smile, this time. But she wanted to lighten up the atmosphere between them as the awkward air hadn't fully dissipated, even with all the confession they've been doing.

Stinger didn't utter a word as a response, however. He just sighed that only made Hammie smile even more. She couldn't believe she was seeing a flustered Stinger at the moment. Okay. Maybe not that flustered. But he was clearly not himself, as if hesitating of some sort. How come she could just see this at the moment?

"Just don't be too excited or reckless when it comes to fighting. That way... I wouldn't worry too much about you."

The last sentence almost made Hammie unable to breathe properly as her heart pounded wildly, which was unexpected. But her heart had been acting that way ever since the two of them were left alone there together to talk things through. Before she knew it, she was smiling again.

This time, it was done fondly that rarely appeared on her face. She was more known to smile bubbly or cheekily. Then again, a lot of new things about her would only happen whenever Stinger was involved. She could only get used to it.

"You worry too much. I didn't even know you could do that," she teased.

It only made Stinger face her, though. "Hammie..."

"But I know what I'm doing. I know I have to do everything I can to stay safe and return to everyone alive and well," she continued. This time, her voice had certain comviction in it. "I'm going to do whatever I can to not let any of those nightmares come true. Not just for you, but for the rest of my comrades and friends, as well."

Both Stinger and Hammie went quiet after that. Moments later, they turned ㅡ only to be surprised to realize that they actually faced each other almost at the same time. Even with that, neither of them decided to turn away nor avoid each other's gaze.

"Good."

Hammie couldn't help chuckling at his one-liner response. But that was to be expected of Stinger.

Once more, her expression turned serious as she remained looking at Stinger. "Can you promise me one thing, Stinger?"

He just looked at her intently, indicating that he was listening even without saying anything as a response.

"Can you promise me not to die?" she asked. Not to die on me and leave me? For some reason, she could only add that in her thoughts.

And yet, it wasn't as if it was a good idea to actually blurt out something like that to someone like Stinger, in the first place. It would only make things awkward for both of them even more. Even if it was an earnest wish, she still wanted things to at least remain a little normal, in some way.

Not long after, she saw Stinger smirked, even if it was just for a short while. He sighed and faced her. Of course, the action startled her a bit. But she remained unfazed and met his gaze.

"I don't have any reason to do that now..."

Hammie's heart was about to sink as soon as she heard those words.

"...because I already made that promise a long time ago. I told you. I have no reason to die now."

Her eyes widened upon hearing Stinger's continuation to his answer. Soon after, her heart felt as if it soared high above the vast sky of the earth. She couldn't help smiling as she nodded once, as if accepting his answer as it was.

That's right. I don't have any reasons to die right now. Not while I'm fighting together like this... Not when I made a promise to protect your smile so that I could see it always... Stinger could only utter that in his thoughts, though. He didn't have any desire to make things complicated because of it.

He had to live. Both of them had to. It was the only thought that was running in Stinger's mind as he watched Hammie smiled her real smile once again. He had to admit, he kind of missed it. He missed seeing that smile on Hammie's face. And now, he could see it in front of him.

They still didn't know what their future battles would hold for the two of them. But the promise they made that day, that they would prevent death from trying to come and get them as they fight the Jark Matter, would become their firm hold to each other and to their future.

They would both fight and live to protect that promise and their feelings lying underneath each of it. At the moment, as they eyed the liberated sector of Earth, it was all they could think of.

Hammie took a deep breath and faced Stinger. "Well, then. Shall we go back?"

Moments later, Stinger smiled and let out an agreeing sound as he nodded once.

--END--

xxxxxx

So that's it for this story. Finally, after how many years, I got to finish it. Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed it. 😁✌😉