𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈┃Too old for this

Below on the street, the two men are still fighting side by side when Steve gets knocked down

Below on the street, the two men are still fighting side by side when Steve gets knocked down. A Chitauri drops on top of him, pinning him to the ground and pushing its rifle towards the Captain's chest. However, he grabs the rifle with both hands, keeping it from coming closer. He then switches to one hand and used the other to punch the being away. Hunter pulls the man back to his feet as the voice of Clint sound through their earpieces.

"Captain, Black," the archer calls, "The bank on 42d past Madison, they've cornered a lot of civilians in there." 

Steve picks up his shield from the ground, turning his head towards the agent. "You got this?" he demands.

"Go," Hunter tells him. The Captain nods, patting the man on his back before he jogs away.

"I'm on it, Barton," he responds. As he walks up to the corner, Hunter hears him speak up again: "I'll keep you posted, Black." Before he disappears out of sight, a small group of Chitauri Soldiers declines from the nearby buildings. The horde splits up into two smaller troops, one following Steve to the bank, the others approaching Agent Black. Some reload their rifles, others without stay behind them for cover, but they all let out an outcry. Hunter dashes behind a flipped car before they can take a shot.

"Cap," he hails, "you're gonna get some visitors."

"Got it." As he takes his guns out of its holsters, his eyes spot a reflection in the window of a second car. The reflection shows himself mostly, but he manages to take a glimpse of the Chitauri's as they sneak towards the car he's hiding behind. Soundlessly but swiftly, he switches both the ammo of the guns to a full magazine. Taking one last look at the mirror image, he then rises to his feet.

He fires his bullets at the pack of aliens. Mostly at the fast ones, those who charge and aim their weapons before the others can. A blast of energy flies past his head as his magazines run out and he ducks down. The agent curses underneath his breath as he finds the last two hanging from his belt, and he decides to load up one of his guns instead of both. 

Just in case he needs it.

He drops the other gun back into its holster and straightens his knees, coming face to face with one of the beings. The distance between the two is too close, meaning neither of them could use their weapons if they wanted to. The Chitauri lunches forward and the two of them falling onto the pavement. The alien screeches as it pins him to the floor, making Hunter grunt as he tries to loosen its tight grip. He throws one of his knees up, hitting it between its legs. 

A human would now lay on the ground, crying, but not the Chitauri. It roars at his attempt, reaching for his throat. Its big pale hands wrap around his neck, preventing his lungs from getting air. Hunter's eyes grow slightly before remembering his training...

Panic will get you nowhere. 

From the corner of his eye, he can spot his gun not far away from him. He tries to punch the creature in its side while reaching for the pistol with his other, but the tips of his fingers only brush against its grip. Clenching his jaw, he grunts in frustration and the alien slowly turns his head towards his other hand. It hisses as it catches sight of his movements, clutching his hand. With the being distracted, he throws his fist into its stomach which makes it stumble back and off his body. Hunter takes another shot, kicking it away even further so he can get his weapon. Before the Chitauri can lunge for him again, he shoots it right between the eyes. He doesn't get the time to catch his breath as the creature's friends join him, so he sends a bullet into them as well. Laying down on the concrete, his torso slightly lifted off the ground, with his gun in position, he waits anxiously for possibly a few more to come out. He remains in this position for a few moments before letting his aching body collapse on the pavement, allowing himself to take a breath.

"You good down there, Black?" Clint questions, checking in.

"We're too old for this," he grunts in response, staring up at the giant portal, "why didn't Nick hire someone young to do this?" He rolls over, pushing himself up from the ground as Agent Barton's laugh sounds through the comms. 

"Because greenies don't have any experience with fighting aliens," Natasha calls through the communication system.

"Neither have we," Hunter comments, "well, except for Thor." 

"Because he is one," Tony meddles.

"We are not done here," Steve interrupts.

"Aye Captain."