i

Eloise Byron had never understood Alistair's jaded view of the world, because for many years she had been fortunate enough to be favored by it, to not experience what Alistair had so affectionately referred to as "the greedy and corrupt heart of man" that he believed all humans possessed.

"Does that include me?" she had asked him, largely playful, but curious of his answer. He had given her a smile, a true smile, and she could still remember the blush that burned in her cheeks.

"Present company excluded, of course," he had said, shifting on the branch he had taken as a perch to lean closer to her. "You don't have a corrupt bone in your body."

But her father did. She hadn't noticed his greed before, his pride, his desperate clawing up the social ladder. Not until it was too late.

But she wouldn't let this happen to her, not without a fight.

"Father, I need to speak with you," Eloise said, entering his study. Her parents were both present, clearly in deep conversation, though they ceased at her entrance.

"Eloise, we were just about to send for you. Sit down," her father said.

"But-"

"Let us speak with you about this first, dear, then you can talk with your father about whatever is on your mind," her mother said.

"Very well," Eloise agreed, impatient.

"Your mother and I spoke further about Alistair after our discussion at breakfast yesterday," her father said, leaning against his desk. "And we are both in agreement that you are to spend no more time with him."

"What?" Her voice was faint as she sank into an armchair.

Her mother smiled gently at her. "It's for the best. We don't like how he looks at you. He fancies you, that much is obvious, and we're concerned he may take some... rash action to prevent you from being wed."

Eloise felt like the entire world was crashing down around her. "You think Alistair would- would kidnap me?"

"We would not put it past him. You're quick enough to know that he is not like us, is not human. He does not abide by humanity's laws. It is for your own protection. Until your wedding, we want you to stay in Henry's bedroom, away from windows. Just in case," her father said. "You understand why we are doing this, yes?"

"I- yes," she said, feeling numb. "Yes, Father, I understand."

She understood everything, now. She understood that she was now nothing more than a prisoner, a bird in a gilded cage.

She understood that there was now no hope for her at all.

~~❀~~

Poor Eloise. Things just keep getting worse and worse for her. However, I enjoy me some sweet, sweet angst so here we are. I wonder how Alistair will react to what her parents have decided?