vi

Alistair hadn't returned. Eloise had whispered his name out the window and he had not come. But her room felt like a cage, so she slipped out her window instead of waiting, skinning her palms as she clamored down. Tears blurred her vision and it was memory, rather than sight, that lead her through the forest and under the branches of her tree.

She crumpled to the ground, leaning against the tree trunk and hugging her knees to herself. How could her father believe the baron to be a good man?

Eloise was not sure how long she stayed there, but it was long enough that her tears ebbed and her fear gave way to dread and helplessness.

Long enough for Alistair to return, touching her shoulder lightly, concerned. She hadn't heard him approach, and startled, flinched away. He withdrew his hand but still crouched by her, now-crimson eyes full of concern.

"Are you well? What happened?" There was worry in his voice, and regret. "I should have stayed close by, gone some other day."

She shook her head. "It would not have mattered. He is awful."

Something flashed in his eyes and he sat beside her, not touching, but close enough. "In what way? What has he done to you?"

"He's dangerous, Alistair," she said, the entire story teetering on the edge of her tongue.

"As am I," he countered.

But Eloise looked at him, and felt no fear. "Not to me."

"You're right." There was a moment of silence, only filled by the sounds of the summer night. "What has he done, Eloise?"

"He made me kiss him," she whispered, picking at the grass, a lump forming in her throat again. "Even though he knew I did not want to."

Alistair was halfway to his feet before her hand closed around his wrist. He was trembling, so angry, but he paused. His voice was taut when he spoke. "I'm going to make this right for you."

"Please don't. Just... stay with me?" Her words came out as a question.

"If that is what you wish," he said, slowly sitting back down beside her.

She plucked at the grass, not looking at him. "It was my first kiss."

"You did not want it," he said. "It does not have to count."

"Am I supposed to pretend the rest he gives me, after we're wed, do not count either?" she asked bitterly.

"No," he said finally, almost hesitant. "But you could replace the memory of your first with one better."

She looked at him. "I don't understand."

"Eloise," he breathed, touching her cheek. "I will kiss you. If you ask."

Her heart did something funny in her chest, and she was too stunned to speak. Alistair drew back, taking her silence as a refusal. "Kiss me," she whispered, and he stilled, red eyes meeting hers.

"Are you certain?"

"Kiss me, Alistair," she repeated.

He brushed his lips against hers, tentative and gentle. There was nothing demanding in the way he kissed her, nothing harsh in the way he cupped her cheek in his hand, nothing rough in how he drew her closer.

It was Eloise who pulled away, hating how much she loved his touch. She was engaged, and even if it was to a man she didn't love, shouldn't she respect that?

Alistair's forehead was pressed against hers, his eyes shut. "Stay with me."

"What?" she asked, drawing back.

He opened his eyes to stare earnestly at her. "Stay with me. We could go anywhere, do anything you'd like. You would be free."

"Alistair, I-" an agreement was on the tip of her tongue, but she thought of her parents, and her siblings, and cared about them too much to go. "I cannot leave my family. The baron is not a good man, but my siblings will do well with the alliance. They need me."

"I understand," he said, but her answer had hurt him. She could tell.

"I'm sorry," she said, knowing it wasn't enough.

"It was presumptuous of me to ask such a thing," Alistair said. "Do not be sorry."

"You will stay until the wedding, won't you?" Eloise asked. It was cruel of her to ask this of him when he so obviously cared, but she was selfish.

"If that is what you want, then yes," he agreed. "I'll escort you back to your bedroom. It is late, and rest will do you good."

"Alright," she agreed, and the two walked in silence back to her home.

"Goodnight, Eloise," he murmured once she was delivered safely to her bedroom. He looked almost sad, features barely distinguishable in the dark, and pressed a lingering, soft kiss to her forehead.

It was an intimate gesture, one she could not help but lean into despite her better judgement. "Goodnight, Alistair," she whispered, and he was gone, as if he had never been there at all.

The following morning after breakfast, before the baron could swoop in and request they spend some time conversing in private, Henry invited her on a walk.

"There's something you need to know," he said seriously as they strolled around the grounds. "Baron Winslough, he's not a good man."

"I know," she said quietly.

"So you've heard, then? About what he's done?" Henry asked.

"What do you mean?"

"I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about him and the gentleman he was with, so last night I joined his servant. Got him drunk, got him to talk. It's not exactly a secret that the baron killed his last wife after she failed to bear him a son."

Her insides felt like they had been doused with ice. "What?"

"Yes. Lesser known is she lost the two babies before his daughter, all thanks to his temper. There's a reason he agreed to take you as a wife. You didn't know of him, of what he did," Henry said, angry.

"He must be excellent at hiding that part of himself, then, if I've been given over to marry him regardless," Eloise said. "We should tell Father-"

"Eloise," her brother said heavily, "nothing would change."

She swallowed roughly. "What? But-"

"Nothing would change," Henry repeated, "because Father knew."

~~❀~~

They've finally kissed, hooray! And so we reach the end of part II. Thanks for reading, make sure to let me know what you think!