prologue

All rights to shondaland. Reminder to separate the actors from the characters out of respect ❤️

Thankyou for all the love on my Meredith Grey story!

Maya

My name is Captain Bishop. Those who I can tolerate, people I might be inclined to call friends, call me Maya, but most address me as Captain. Especially these days. No one dares use my first name, in fear of the rage inherited from the oldest Bishop. Although, considering the unparalleled access you're about to receive into the inner workings of my brain, my full name may be of little interest to you.

Maya Rose Bishop.

Really?

Rose?

I'm nothing like a rose. A thorn? Maybe. Perhaps I was a rose between the thorns once, but I was pricked and scratched until my petals dropped off. I didn't need them. Nothing about me is soft or fragile or flimsy or delicate. I cannot be easily damaged. One cannot survive if they're that easily fragmented, especially not in my world- in my fire house. Under my rule, vulnerability gets you punished. I have a short fuse when it comes to emotions getting in the way of work. Ask my team.

Seattle relies on me being the metaphorical and physical extinguisher of her frustrations. I settle situations, calm civilians, conduct my team to be respectful, brave, intuitive. I flow from scene to scene like the water dousing the house I'm currently staring down.

Although, judging by the length of this soliloquy, it's safe to say I'm more distracted than usual. I'm off my game.

I, myself, Miss Maya Rose Bishop. Captain. Feel like I'm igniting ablaze.

I've driven my team away. I ploughed into my own fire house and destroyed every good relationship I've ever had, all for captaincy.

For victory.

My dad would be so proud.

He never mentioned how lonely it is at the top, though. Maybe, he thought the truth would deter me from winning.

But now I'm isolated at the top of my league, with no one to put out the flames inching up my trouser legs.

I cannot be my own extinguisher.

But I will damn well try.