Chapter 4: More than partners

He opened his eyes to see Marinette, still sleeping soundly in his arms. He took a few seconds to recollect his thoughts and what had happened that night. He had crossed the line. A line that he didn't know if he should take back or a line that he was glad that he crossed. He kissed her. She kissed him back. She didn't push him away. She actually kissed him back. He watched as Marinette's back rose and fell with each breath she took. She smelled like rain and rose petals, making him smile as he breathed her scent in. He knew she wanted him to stay for breakfast but he couldn't tell her that he had photoshoots as Adrien today. He couldn't tell her who he was, it would complicate things. He should tell her that dating a superhero wouldn't work. If Hawkmoth learned of his newly acquired feelings for her, he would surely take it out on her and he didn't want that. He couldn't just confess his feelings for her as Adrien either, because it was clear she had feelings for Chat noir.

This was a mess.

He slowly and quietly escaped from her bedroom, not having the courage to tell her goodbye. It was Saturday, he had a couple of hours of photoshoots and piano practice. He would come back tonight, but before that he would see if he could find Ladybug and figure out what had happened to her. Her words echoed through his mind. He knew her in real life and she thought he didn't love her. Wait. That's right. He is in love with Ladybug. How could he kiss Marinette? He didn't know which was worse, the fact that he thought he loved Ladybug and kissed someone else or the fact that he kissed Marinette, a civilian, knowing she would get caught in the crossfire.

The photoshoot was long and boring as usual, which gave him plenty of time to collect his thoughts and feelings but when he was done he still had no idea how to confront Ladybug about what happened. He transformed and went back to the same place that he saw her the night before and waited, hoping she would show up. To his surprise though he only had to wait about five minutes. She sat down beside him, obviously uncomfortable.

"Hey LB."

"Hey, Chat." She said, giving him a half-smile, holding one of her arms.

"You going to tell me what happened yesterday?" He looked at her with his best serious face he could muster.

"Yesterday?" She said as if she were confused.

"You said you saw me detransform. Is my civilian self so bad? Do you not like my other self? You have to tell me. You ran away crying, Why?" He said, his eyes glued to hers.

As much as she wanted to avoid his stare, she remained in his gaze, seeing her reflection in those bright emerald eyes like she did last night.

"Chat. I was hurt because I thought you didn't love the other side of me. You said you loved me to my mask, but you've never said it to the face without the mask."

She was hurt. He knew that but how was he supposed to love someone he didn't know under the mask. That was like picking a needle in a haystack. How many people lived in Paris again? Right. A lot. Wait, she said they were more than partners. What did she mean by that?

"LB, you said we were more than partners. What did you mean?" He asked, observing her reaction.

"Well... I shouldn't say much. The rules have already been half broken. If you were to know my identity we could have our miraculous taken away...but I know you in real life. I know your civilian self, personally." She said, her cheeks pink.

Was she... blushing? Wait hold on! She knew him in real life, did he see her every day? How? How had he not recognized her?

"Wait, slow down. Do we know one another? Are we acquaintances? Are we friends? Are we-"

"Chat. I gave you a big hint but I can't tell you who I am. You will either have to figure it out and keep it to yourself or... you can forget about it. Either way, right now. I am a lot happier." Ladybug smiled, turning her head toward the Eiffel tower. Her pigtails swayed in the Paris summer breeze.

Why was his heart thumping? It felt as though his voice was stuck in his throat. Was he nervous or... excited? He desperately wanted to know who she was. Marinette. Images of Marinette would pop into his mind and he felt guilty. How could he make such a mistake when he was so close to figuring out who his true love was. He needed to break it off with Marinette as peaceful as possible and explain that the superhero life was too dangerous. Yeah. Marinette was understanding, she would understand.

"What?!" Marinette cried out.

"I don't think we should continue what we started last night. What if Hawkmoth found out? That would put you in danger and... I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if... he hurt you because of me." Chat said, his ears drooping.

Marinette clenched her fists and bit her lips, wanting to tell him badly but took a deep breath.

"You...You're right." Marinette sighed, thinking it better this way, even though she desperately wanted to continue this...relationship? Whatever they were.

He looked at her, sitting at her desk, obviously hiding the disappointment from him. He hated this. He hated hurting her but it was the right thing to do... right? He was doing this for Marinette. He wasn't doing this because of the information Ladybug had given him... right?

"I'll see myself out then." He said, turning to go toward the balcony ladder above her bed.

"Chat?"

He turned to look at her, seeing her smile at him.

"Come visit me when there's a thunderstorm?" Marinette smiled, her cheeks stained pink.

Want to support me? Why not check out my YouTube channel which has not only this story but season 2 AND it is an audio fic. I voice it and season 2 of this fanfic is in collab form!

Youtube: StaceyHoltFanfiction