Chapter 8: He knows

Chat noir watched as Ladybug flawlessly zipped in and tripped the Akuma victim with her Yo yo, landing perfectly on her feet as she smiled. Chat noir smiled and nodded to her. They didn't have to speak to one another about what the other was doing, they knew their fighting pattern better than anyone else and trusted one another completely. The Akuma victim was a lot stronger than they had imagined and struggled to figure how to beat them. Ladybug and Chat noir hid behind a car to recollect their plan, but Chat noir had other plans.

"So... how do I know you, My lady?" Chat smiled.

"Chat! Right now is not the time!" Ladybug groaned.

Just as she yelled at him, she was hit with the victim's attack and went flying into a nearby building.

"Ladybug!" Chat called out, running to her.

She was laying on the ground, disoriented from the impact.

"Chat... the staff." Ladybug said softly, feeling as if she had the breath knocked out of her.

She handed him her lucky charm which was a piece of gum and he stuck it in his mouth. He turned around and ran toward the Akuma victim and spit the gum at the victim, who caught it with the other hand thinking it was an attack, only to find it was a sticky piece of gum. As they were trying to get the gum off of their free hand, Ladybug could hear him yell cataclysm. Ladybug finally caught her breath and zipped over to him, seeing the victim was back to normal. Ladybug fist-bumped Chat noir, he was smiling though she didn't seem happy. Ladybug picked up the piece of half-chewed gum and threw it into the air as she yelled miraculous ladybug to restore things back to normal.

"What's wrong, LB?" Chat asked, seeing her earlier cheerful self vanished.

"Meet me tonight on the roof where you gave me the rose. Take him back?" Ladybug said.

Chat nodded and helped him up, disappearing into the distance. Ladybug zipped her way back to the school and jumped back inside the locker, gripping her side in pain.

Tikki flew out to look and gave her a frown.

"You have to be careful Marinette! Plagg gives Chat noir enough power to take the hits. I don't. I give you luck so you won't get hit. Any hits as strong as that one can cause you pain." Tikki frowned, feeling guilty that she couldn't protect her friend.

"I know Tikki. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind." Marinette smiled but sat down in the locker as she tried to let the pain subside on its own. A few minutes she heard hurried footsteps coming closer and a bright light shined into her eyes.

"Are you ok Marinette?" Adrien said, helping her up.

"Oh yeah, totally fine. I just sat down because I didn't know when you'd be back." Marinette lied, feeling it best not to tell him that she was actually hurt.

"What time is it- Oh! It's 4:10! We better go meet them." Adrien said, looking at his phone.

Adrien opened his car's door and went inside the backseat with her and asked his bodyguard to take them to their destination. On the car ride there, they were both silent, even though the bodyguard couldn't hear them because the window inside was rolled up.

"Uh... Marinette?"

"Yeah?" Marinette said, trying to push her pain to the side and smile.

"Are you sure you're ok with going? I'll help you tonight but... you're just really quiet." Adrien said, feeling a little guilty.

"Oh no... It's fine. I always wanted to go on a date with you." Marinette said with a blush spreading on her cheeks.

"A ...date? This is a date?" Adrien asked.