Part 1 - those eyes

Stella was ready to leave for the academy, covering her freshly bruised cheek with the little make up she had in the bathroom cabinet. She fluffed her curls before taking a deep breath, closing the cabinet door to be stared blankly back at by her reflection in the mirror.

Her eyes filled with water as she then became a blur. A blur to herself. Why? Why was she still here, taking the same crap day in day out.

"Stella! What are you doing in there?"

She jumped as she snapped back to reality, the reality of him still waiting for her outside the door.

"I'm just freshening up, won't be a second" she tried to say cheerfully through the door.

She hurried herself and made her way anxiously back into the lounge. His breath soon filled her body with goosebumps as he stood close behind her.

"You weren't going to leave without saying goodbye was you?" He asked as the smell of whisky on his breath lingered in the air around them.

"Nope, I know you like your goodbye kiss, I wouldn't ever leave without saying goodbye"

She cringed inside at the thought of still being with him, her allowing him to touch her, kiss her. Deep down she knew she still loved him. But what for? He did nothing but bring her down, manipulate and hurt her. Was it love, or was it all she ever knew?

She turned herself to him, holding his cold veiny hand, placing a gentle kiss on his lips.

"I'll see you after shift"

He tugged viciously at her arm as she began to walk away, forcing her to stop and turn back at him.

"Yeah?" She asked quietly.

"Is that all, a half-hearted kiss like that, do you even love me? Kissing me like I'm nothing to you!"

His voice raised, echoed around the empty apartment. Leaving her feeling hopeless as she felt herself falling back into the trap.

"You know I love you"

His grip tightened around her now weakened arm.

"Are you sure about that?"

"Always." She said with a whisper as she looked up at him.

Her big brown eyes, now looking at him as if she was nothing. He made her feel worthless. He tightened his grip once more as her wrist started to burn, the sheer panic she felt ran through her body as she braved herself for what was next.

"You need to act more like you do"

He got himself close to her face as she flinched back a little, trying to put on a brave face so she could hurry up and get out of there and on with her day. She nodded at him slightly as he grabbed her face, squeezing her cheeks as he kissed her. She didn't enjoy it one bit but made out like she did. It was always just to please him and keep him from hurting her any more than he usually does.

He released his grip from her wrist as he passed her back her bag.

"Have a nice day babe." He smiled at her as she nodded.

"I'm sure I will"

As cheerful as she tried to be, she hurried herself out of the apartment and down to her car. She jingled her keys to release them from being tangled together and headed to the station. Only 2 more days until her exam, the thought of her passing and finally making something of herself was keeping her going.

________________________________

She pulled up into the academy car park. Finding all the strength she had to be able to get herself through the day. She was happiest when she was keeping busy. Why? Her mind wasn't focusing on all the bad which was most likely about to come.