Chapter 17

This chapter is dedicated to a guy named Remy, who was repeatedly stabbed in a fight. He'd broken his stabber's arm a few months earlier, and for payback, the guy used a weapon. Remy was only 15. And the other guy 14. 

"Oooh. We did it for the hell of it. We did it for the good times and the bad ones. We didn't think about what shit might happen. But once you light a fire, it's gonna burn." ~Zach Herron, I'll Be Okay

I wake up to loud music and sweet singing.

"I get scared when I think about the future. I'm a jump man, she's a promise abuser. Hell, I know that we're bad for each other. I made my own bed, but she tucked me under." Daniel, I think.

"Oooh. We did it for the hell of it. We did it for the good times and the bad ones. We didn't think about what shit might happen. But once you light a fire, it's gonna burn."

Zach.

And then— what? Daniel? "I'll be okay to keep it simple. I'll stay out of your way, I won't let you know. I need your love tonight. I need your love. I'll be okay as long as you are. It's been the longest day and I—. I need your love tonight. I need your love."

And then even Jack starts singing. "I- I- I- I. Innocent of sin. Baby, in the moment we all think we know. But when it's too late all the answers sho-ooh-oh—ow. I- I- I- I. No forgiving then. All it takes is time and some selfish pride, to flip our love story on its si—de."

"Oooh. We did it for the hell of it. We did it for the good times and the bad ones. We didn't think about what shit might happen. But once you light a fire, it's gonna burn," Zach sings again.

Daniel does his chorus. "I'll be okay to keep it simple. I'll stay outta your way and won't let you know. I need your love tonight. I need your love. I'll be okay as long as you are. It's been the longest day and I. I need your love tonight."

And then Corbyn whispers. "Need your love tonight."

"I need your love."

Jonah sings next. "Stranded on an island. Can't escape, I'm tryin'. I need you to come help. I need you to come help. Baby, you're an angel. You did nothing wrong, but you've been giving me hell. You've been giving me he- e- ell."

Corbyn whispers again. "I'll be okay to keep it simple. I'll stay outta your way and won't let you know. I need your love toni—ght!"

I laugh, squeezing his side tight.

"Oh, tonight!" Jack holds this note for super long, while everyone else sings.

"I'll be okay as long as you are. It's been the longest day and I," they sing, and Zach sings the echo. "I need your love tonight." Daniel with the echo. "I need your love." There's a beautiful, "Oooh."

They continue on. "I'll be okay to keep it simple. I'll stay outta your way and won't let you know. I need your love tonight. I need your love."

The echoes still keep on going, it's gorgeous.

Why Don't We whisper, "Need your love tonight."

"Oh, shit, yeah, that sounds sick," Daniel yells at the end.

The other boys open the door, followed by my friends.

I clap, grinning like a fool.

"Amazing!" Max smiles. She turns to me. "Dani was holding me the whole time. And he was yelling through the door." She laughs at that.

"Really?" Hailey says, sarcastically. "I'm pretty sure he was singing to you."

Max glares at her playfully.

Nik cuts in before anything can start. "We wanted to go out together. Breakfast or something."

"Actually..." Jack says, smiling guiltily. "We have to record our songs again. Adjust some parts in our songs, and such."

Nik nods solemnly. "Okay." She brightens up right away. "Maybe some other time."

"You can come with us!" Zach smiles happily.

Jonah nods slowly, agreeing. "Singing and jamming out."

"With friends," Hailey adds.

I sit up, Corbyn pulling himself up as well.

"Get out then," I say. "If you guys want to get ready."

They file out, leaving me and Corbyn.

"Let's get ready?" I ask him.

He holds my chin, making me face him. And he kisses me.

"Can we just stay for a little while more?" He murmurs against my lips.

I twist, so my body is facing him.

I pull away slightly. "Corbyn. We have to go."

He leans in again. "One more minute."

"5 seconds."

"55 seconds."

"10."

"45."

"15."

"35," Corbyn whines.

"25, final offer," I tell him.

Corbyn nods. "That works."

I laugh.

~

"You been there through it all. You answered all my calls. Ooh— ooh— ooh— ooooh— ooooh!" Corbyn sings. "I can't believe I let you go."

"Nice work Corbyn," Jonah says from across the room.

Daniel turns to glare at Jonah, hitting a button on his keyboard. "I hadn't pressed stop yet."

Jonah chuckles nervously. "Sorry?"

Daniel suddenly smiles. "It's totally fine."

Max closes her eyes, stumbling back a bit. "Where's the washroom?" She whispers.

Daniel stands up, his chair knocking down. "I'll take you. You okay?"

Max just looks at him, lips pressed tightly together.

Daniel takes her out to the washroom.

"Should we..." Nik trails off.

"Nah..." Zach stops as well.

Daniel comes back in, alone.

"She's fine," he says. "She says she wants to stay in the washroom herself."

Nikki stands up. "Never leave her alone in a washroom when she's like that."

And she runs out.

We hear a few doors slamming, and then nothing.

Everyone rushes out to find the washroom.

"Max?" Hailey asks.

I peek in between Corbyn and Jonah.

Max is on the floor, on her side, clutching her stomach in pain.

Daniel goes to her and lifts her head to rest on his lap.

"This would be so much cuter if she weren't hurt," Zach comments.