Chapter 20

"Stick to my word when I say I don't want you back. But what if I did, don't hold it against me. " ~ Daniel Seavey, I Still Do

For New Year's, we're again all in the living room.

We face the tv, all in the same places as the first night here.

Except...

Max isn't sitting on Daniel. No. She's on the floor, sitting beside Zach, head on his shoulder. Weren't Daniel and her a thing before? I wonder what happened.

She laughs at something Zach said, pushing him lightly. Does she know?

He whispers something in her ear, and she hugs him tight. 'Guess he told her.

I turn back to Corbyn, head resting on his shoulder.

"Do you think... he'll tell Jack tonight?" I whisper to Corbs.

He smiles. "I hope so."

Jonah flicks on the tv.

The song that's playing at this moment is Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi.

I turn my head, pressing my face in Corbyn's neck. I giggle.

He leans his head my way. "What's up Iz?"

"You. I really like you."

He hums. "I really like you too."

"Uhm... guys?"

I turn to face the front, seeing Zach standing in front of the tv.

"I have something to tell you all," he says. "So... I was... always uncertain with my identity. I didn't really know if I was... straight or not. 'Cause, you know, I've dated 6 people now, but uh, I didn't really like dating girls, I guess... yeah."

Jack shifts.

"So... please don't be... don't judge me, 'cause, um, this is who I am," Zach smiles shyly. "I'm bi."

Jack jumps. "YES!" He quickly gets embarrassed, and sits back down. "Ahem, I mean, that's great, Zachy! I mean, Zach!"

Zach's smile gets wide. He suddenly runs back, but sits in front of Jack. He tilts his head onto Jack's lap.

"Hi," he giggles.

"I'm gay," Jack replies.

"I'm gay too. I mean, the happy gay."

Jack smiles too, his hands in Zach's hair now. He leans down, kissing Zach's lips quickly before sitting back up.

I hear Max squeal. "Yeeeeees!"

Nik laughs. "I'm happy for you guys."

Hailey rolls her eyes, but she's smiling too. "Another ship has sailed."

"Yup," Jonah agrees. Daniel only nods along.

Corbyn wraps his arm around me, tilting my face up, and kissing me.

"Hey Max?" I hear Daniel whisper, really soft.

Max doesn't respond.

"Max?" Daniel keeps on whispering. "Please, baby."

Max stands up abruptly, takes Daniel's hand and stalks out.

The silence after the leave is... awkward.

~

They return, but they're not... cuddly. They're distant and cold.

Well, Max is. Daniel's sad, but there's, like, an odd glint in his eye.