chapter viii

! CONTENT WARNING !this chapter contains a small amount of violence

! CONTENT WARNING !
this chapter contains a small amount of violence. if this makes you uncomfortable, don't read it, you won't be missing too much of the story.

DISCLAIMER: i, in no way, condone the violent actions that take place in this chapter. my character is not me, and these actions are played out simply for the storyline. the violence displayed is a show of extremely strong emotions and in no way reflect my own personality.

― ➶ ―

"Back it up, Joe!" Sonya shouted. She and Harriet were leading the group through the canyon, and they'd arrived at a barricade of armored trucks. Tiago was wary of every single gun he could see. As they walked, he had subconsciously grabbed Newt's arm. He'd apologized and quickly retracted it, but Newt had reached for his hand. They hadn't let go of each other since.

"We're taking them to base," Harriet said to one of the men nearest her.

"Wait, so how did you guys get here?" Aris asked.

"The Right Arm got us out."

"Wait, wait," Thomas said, settling himself between Harriet and Aris. "You know who they are?"

Harriet didn't answer at first. She gave Thomas a small smile as she pulled open the door of a truck.

"Hop in."

The journey wasn't far. Newt and Tiago finally let each other go to get into separate trucks; Newt went with Minho, Thomas, Teresa, and Frypan, while Tiago went with Jorge, Brenda, and Aris. Tiago closed his eyes again during the ride. He could feel his leg getting sore again, and he only hoped that someone in the Right Arm could help him with the pain.

When they reached their destination, Tiago was amazed. It was almost like the city, just without buildings. There were people in small groups everywhere, and he could see multiple beams of smoke from different fires. People were eating, chatting, laughing even. There were tents set up for sleeping. Everyone seemed to be doing something important. The area was definitely hard to get to, and with their protective measures, Tiago was sure that they would be safe from WCKD here. He glanced at Newt, who also wore an awed look.

"They've been planning this for over a year now," Harriet explained. "This is all for us."

'Us' being Immunes, Tiago thought to himself, throwing another sideways glance at Newt. He knew that the reason he was here was because Jorge figured that the Right Arm could give the three of them―Jorge, Brenda, and Tiago―protection since they saved six Immunes. Looking at the camp now, Tiago figured the Right Arm could use the help and the protection that they offered. So much for an army, Tiago mused as he noted the small amount of armed men scattered through the camp.