chapter ix

! CONTENT WARNING !this chapter contains discussion of abuse, murder, and abandonment

! CONTENT WARNING !
this chapter contains discussion of abuse, murder, and abandonment. if you are uncomfortable with these topics, i urge you not to read this chapter. these are a few details of tiago's backstory, so if you don't read this chapter, there will be a few things missing in future chapters that may not make sense to you. if you wish to know what happens in this chapter, you can dm me and i can explain tiago's backstory and summarise this chapter in a more sensitive way. thank you :)

― ➶ ―

"I was under the impression your mother was dead," Newt said bluntly.

Tiago gave a wry smile. "So was I." He shook his head. "But that was definitely ... her. God, she looks exactly like―" He stopped himself, cutting his sentence short. Newt raised an eyebrow, but he didn't seem to want to push Tiago any further than the older boy was willing to go.

It was then that Tiago realized how far he'd walked because his leg was throbbing. He looked down at the injury, frowning. Newt followed his gaze and frowned as well.

"Want me to check that?"

Tiago shrugged. "It's been pretty alright since we got out of the truck earlier," he said honestly. "I think I just walked a little too fast."

"Let's hope it's healing and you haven't ripped those stitches open," Newt said, concern lacing his voice.

"It doesn't even hurt that much anymore," Tiago muttered. He paused. "I do think I need to sit down, though."

The two headed for a group of small rocks. Tiago settled down on top of one, shifting around slightly to get more comfortable. Newt watched him in amusement, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. When Tiago was finally settled, injured leg stretched out in front of him, Newt bent down and began fiddling with the bandages.

"I told you it's fine," Tiago said in exasperation, wincing when the bandage shifted across a few stitches.

"And I don't really believe you," Newt replied smoothly, "considering you've flinched twice since I started taking these off." Tiago rolled his eyes, but a smile was forming on his own lips. "You wanna tell me about your mother, or are we gonna leave that hanging?"

Tiago tensed immediately. Newt paused his ministrations and glanced up at the older boy. Tiago furrowed his eyebrows, then licked his lips. One could take it for stalling, but Tiago was just trying to find the words to start explaining himself.

"It probably looks bad that I punched a woman in the face," he realized suddenly.

Newt chuckled, looking back down at the bandages. "Yeah, probably."