𝟒|𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐑

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂

        ― I RAN AROUND MY dorm room, searching everywhere for my favorite purse. "I know it's in here somewhere..." I muttered to myself, searching in my chest for the darn thing. I let out a yelp as I heard a knock on the door, startling me so that I hit my head on the lid.

        I groaned and rubbed my forehead, "Come in!" I smiled when James walked in the door, waving politely and turning back to my chest to find my handbag.

        "Are you ready? The boys are waiting downstairs and—" He stopped mid-sentence, perplexed, "What are you doing?"

        I sighed and started rummaging through my closet, "I'm looking for my mini-shoulder bag, I can't find it anywhere..." I mumbled, blushing when he started laughing.

        "You mean this bag?" He chuckled holding up the purse I was looking for.

        I smiled excitedly, "Yes! Where was it? I was looking everywhere for it." I took the bag from his hands, muttering a quick thank-you before filling it with extra makeup and some money.

        "It was on the door handle." He smirked, holding back a laugh. I blushed, but smiled nonetheless.

        "I can be daft, sometimes." I laughed, thanking him once more before slipping on my shoes, "Ready to go?"

        "Yes, m'lady." He bowed, holding out an arm for me. I flushed again and chuckled nervously, curtseying and laying a hand on his elbow.

        We walked like this all the way to the Entrance Hall, chatting and talking nonsense on the way there. What I thought was a friendly gesture was — apparently — much more than that to James, who didn't realize how it made him feel quite yet.

        "There you are! I was starting to get worried." Remus smiled, kissing my cheek and swapping with James once we got close enough to the three boys, "What took you so long?" 

        "I was looking for my bag." I shrugged, "Which, I probably wouldn't have found if James didn't come."

        He burst into laughter, "It was on the door handle." He explained, making the rest of the group laugh, too. I smiled in good nature and pulled a list from my pocket.

        "I need to stop by the flower shop once we're done for today." I explained, going over my checklist to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was very forgetful, and often had to make lists of what I needed. I had a second list of all my jobs to do in the store, the elderly woman who owned the small boutique always forgot to care for her plants. So, I came by to water and care for them in exchange for a bit of coin.

        "Alrighty, then. Sounds doable." Peter noted, leading the way to the Three Broomsticks.

        We talked as we made our way into the small village, waving at people we knew when we passed. Sirius held the door open for everyone as we entered the pub, sitting down at an empty booth in the back.

        "I can get the first round, since you guys let me tag along." I offered, a small smile on my face.

        Remus was about to protest when I stopped him, "No, Remmy. I'll get the first round." I chuckled, waving him off and making my way to Madam Rosmerta.

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂

        I watched as James' eyes never left Laine's figure. I was so confused. He only ever looked at a girl like that if it was Lily, and Celaine was definitely not Lily Evans.

        "You okay, James?" I asked, snapping him out of his trance. He flushed and nodded, turning back to the conversation with Sirius and Peter, who were currently debating on whether you should tell a girl to dinner or ask them.

        Strange... I thought, side-eyeing James before submersing myself in the conversation. We spent an hour or two in the pub, taking turns paying for the many butterbeers we consumed. I was still hung up on how James was acting around Laine, suspicious that he felt more than friendship for my little sister.

꧁꧂ ꧁꧂ ꧁꧂