Chapter 4

I got up, looked at my clock it was nine-thirty. I got dressed and went to the school. The line wasn’t that long so I didn’t have to wait. I was nervous about what today would bring when Red found out. I went into my room and like usual I waited for Gene to come in. He came in and he didn’t look happy.

“One of the doctors I’m friends with has Red.” He said.

“And? What happened? Did he tell him?” I asked.

“Yes, I tried to convince him not to but he wouldn’t listen.”

“What about Derek? Did anyone tell him?”

“I don’t know, I don’t know who had him today.” He paused then continued. “Do you want me to walk you to the mess hall today in case he makes a scene?”

“I have chores to do first so I have to go home.”

“Didn’t you say he lives with you?”

“Yeah,”

“I’m going with you then, he can do worst things at home then he can in the mess hall.”

“Okay.” He went through my check in routine, and then he drew blood. He had one more kid to check in, then we left. We got to my house and went inside no one was there so I grabbed the broom and swept all of the dirt outside. Which took a while because I had to sweep every room Gene stayed the entire time to make sure Red didn’t show up.

“Do you have anything else to do before we go to the mess hall?” Gene asked me.

“I have to go meet Derek.”

“Where?”

“The old playground.” He nodded. I put the broom back then we left. We got to the playground and Derek was playing and there was someone watching him.

“Who’s that?”

“I don’t know no one ever comes over here at least no teens or doctors only the kids.” As we got closer I realized who it was. “It’s Red.” I started running he heard me and turned around. “What are you doing here?”

“Seeing my son,” he said pointing at Derek. “Why did you tell me he was in a different town didn’t you think I would want to see him?” Gene had reached us then and stood behind me.

“You said you didn’t want to know him.” I told him.

“Why is he here?” He asked looking at Gene.

“He wanted to make sure I was safe.”

“Safe from what?”

“You, I knew you were going to be mad when you found out I lied to you and I didn’t know what you were going to do. What did you tell him?”

“That I’m his father.” The expression must have given something away because he continued. “He doesn’t know anything does he?”

“No, he doesn’t.”

“What did you tell him?” He asked nodding toward Gene.

“Everything,”

“Did you tell him you left before I could talk to you and tell that I changed my mind?”

“It doesn’t matter that you changed you mind he’s you son you should have stuck with her.” Gene said.  

“You stay out of this, it’s none of your business.” Red said to him. Gene stepped around me so he could get a better view of Red.

“I say it is.”

“Why do you care?”

“Because I’m assigned to her and I don’t what anything to happen to her.” Derek ran over to us then.