Ch.16 Be Nice!

Chapter 16

"Good morning, Ms. Kennedy," Abraham, King Maksim's secretary, smiled brightly as he greeted Nora at the palace doors. "Welcome back."

"Thank you, Mr. Abraham," Nora took in a deep breath of the fresh roses Queen Ella preferred to decorate the palace with. "It's good to be back."

"There's been a slight change to your contract."

"Oh?" Nora raised a brow. "Oh no. Am I fired?"

"No," Abraham laughed. He took a step back and ushered her into the staff floor. "We're moving your position. You will no longer be joining the IT department. King Maksim has requested you join the special cyber security unit upstairs."

"Why?" Nora hurried along behind the tall man in the gray suit.

"Your work at Donates Academy and your contribution to stopping Project Skyfall has captured a lot of attention around here," Abraham smiled. "We're all very proud of you. To have you in the IT department would be a waste of your talent."

"Thank you," Nora felt her cheeks blush.

"Don't thank me just yet," Abraham shook his head. "Prince Hayden wrote you a very strong recommendation letter. One of the best I have ever read in the years that I have been working here. You have a long way to go, young lady."

Nora's heart skidded, "Hayden?"

"Yes," the man nodded. "He recommended you for the position on the cyber security team."

"Oh..." Nora felt her thoughts start to jumble. Her palms grew sweaty as her heart started to beat wildly in her ears.

"Ready?"

"For what?" Nora looked up.

"To meet the King, of course," Abraham laughed. "Where did you think I was taking you?"

"Meet the King?" Nora looked at the closed door. "Like The King?"

"We only have one king."

"I wish you had given me a heads up."

"This is your heads up."

"Why does the king want to see me?"

"I'm not sure," Abraham shrugged. "Maybe to say hello."

"To me?"

"Nora," Abraham checked his watch. "We're on a schedule."

"Sorry...I.....I never met the king before."

"You met gods."

"Very true."

"You'll be just fine," Abraham patted Nora's shoulder before opening the door and stepping in. "Nora Kennedy, your majesty."

Nora took in a deep breath and walked in. She was immediately blown away by the sheer size of the room Abraham had just walked her into. A massive fireplace was built into the wall with floor to ceiling french windows draped with heavy red curtains right across from it. Three gigantic chandeliers hung from the ceilings in perfect alignment above the Persian carpets over the floors.

A tall figure stood in the middle of the room in a black suit. He wore no tie, yet he was the essence of regality. His dark hair, sprinkled with silver strands was combed back neatly. He wore a gentle smile that captivated anyone who laid eyes on him. Nora's gaze gravitated towards him as the man took a few steps forward.

"Hello, Nora," Maksim said. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"Your majesty," Nora bowed. "It's an honor."