Ch.41 Bath time

Chapter 41

Killian leaned against the bathroom door frame with his hands in his pocket and eyes glued on Kiara. She wasn't speaking to him, but she wasn't ignoring him either. He had been following her around for days as she went about her daily activities with Lila. He was cut off from helping. All he could do was watch and follow them around like a lost puppy.

"Are you cold, mama?" Kiara cooed as she removed the wet cloth from Lila in the baby tub and began to wrap her in the small white robe. "It's okay, my dove. I got you. Mommy's here."

Killian reached out and gently put Lila's little hoodie over her tiny head to stop the water from dripping everywhere from her hair. Her little brown eyes looked up, melting her father's heart.

"Kia, she's getting cold," Killian said.

"I know," Kiara frowned, wrapping Lila tightly in her arms with the towel.

"Here," Killian held out his hands. "I'll hold her."

"No," Kiara stepped back. "I got her."

With a small sigh, Killian dropped his hands and stepped out of her way. He held the door open as Kiara walked out with Lila and headed over to the changing table.

"Lotion," Killian said from where he stood a few feet behind them.

Kiara looked at the basket full of bottles.

"The tall white one," Killian said.

Once she laid Lila on the changing table, Kiara reached for the bottle. Very carefully and delicately, she applied lotion on Lila's little limbs and brushed out her soft curls. By the time she finished, Killian had walked to the closet and pulled out a pajama set. He passed it to Kiara and stood back once more as she dressed the baby and then walked over to the armchair.

"Now what?" Kiara asked, rocking Lila in her arms.

"Don't rock her like that," Killian said. "You're going to put her to sleep before she feeds."

"Oh," Kiara frowned, growing still.

"Want me to make the bottle?" Killian offered.

"No, I got it."

"Kia," Killian's frown grew. He looked at Lila and then back at Kiara.

"Show me how to make it," Kiara said, getting up from the chair.

"How have you been making the bottles these past few days?"

"The nanny," Kiara walked over to the table with Lila's bottles. "She made them."

"I'll show you," Killian moved to the table and stood beside Kiara.

He felt her eyes on him as he began preparing. She stood so close he could smell the familiar scent of her shampoo in her hair. Kiara unconsciously bounced Lila and swayed as if she was dancing with the little girl. Her curls were half pulled up and out of her beautiful face. It all made Killian want to turn around and lean in for a kiss. But he knew she would move away.

"Why did you name her Lila?" Kiara asked after a few minutes.

"I didn't," Killian said, pushing all his attention on the task at hand. "You did."

"Oh," Kiara nodded.

"You don't like the sun," Killian smiled thinking of how she used to avoid the sunlight. "So you named her Lila."

"What does it mean?"

"Night," Killian's smile grew.

"Appropriate," Kiara looked at her baby. "For the daughter of death."