Ch.26 And there she was...

Chapter 26

Some months later

Killian's neck felt as stiff as a board. Even before he opened his eyes, he knew moving would hurt. He had fallen asleep on the chair again. It was the only way Kiara would allow him to stay in the room, not that Killian wanted to climb into bed with that psychopath taking over his girl's mind.

Moving his toes first, Killian slowly stretched his legs and then upper body before taking in a deep breath and slowly opening his eyes. The artificial sunlight came in through the window and lit up the room like an aquarium. It was a silent morning. Kiara had broken the small bird box weeks ago that imitated bird calls. Now Pandora's box was as silent as a ghost town.

As Killian's eyes opened, his gaze made it's way over to the girl laying on the bed. His heart beat started to rise as he looked at her swollen belly before his eyes traveled up to her beautiful eyes....beautiful brown eyes.

Killian immediately began to sit up as he noticed the color of Kiara's eyes. His chest tightened and his body moved faster than he could process his thoughts.

"Kia," Killian said breathlessly as he kneeled beside the bed. His hand moved up and touched the edge of her face gently.

Kiara flinched from his touch and screwed her eyes shut.

"No, no, no," Killian began to panic. "No, Kia. Please, listen. Please don't do that."

As his words filled the space between them, Kiara's eyes opened once more.

"Take your hand off of me before I break it off of you," Kiara said with her eyes shimmering a brilliant gold.

Killian's jaw clenched as he pulled his hand back. He had no desire to feel Kiara's warm skin chill under his fingers as the demon took her over once more.

This has been a dance they have been perfecting for months now. Just when he would least expect it, Killian would look up and find Kiara's brown eyes on him. He would run to her. But the faster he tried to get to her, the quicker she hid behind the psychopath. She was always just within his reach, but slipping away everytime.

"Killian, you need to take a step back," Kiara said, rising from the bed. "You're crowding me."

Reluctantly, Killian rose to his feet and took a step back. He held out his hand and Kiara took it as she slowly climbed out of bed. The white dress she wore fell over her round belly as she huffed uncomfortably.

"I can't wait for this girl to be out of me!" she groaned in anger.

"Then maybe you should let Kiara experience carrying her first child," Killian said bitterly.

"First child?" Kiara laughed. "As if there will be any other. Only child, Killian....just like you."

"Then let her be here!"

"Mmmm...." Kiara tilted her head to one side. "No."

Killian's hands balled into fists. He shut his eyes and took in a deep breath. But right as he was about to open his eyes once more, he felt Kiara take a step closer and run her hand through his messy hair.

"Curls," she said, taking a lock and letting it wrap around her finger. "Lila will have your curls."

Killian held his breath. He didn't want to open his eyes and see those gold ones looking back at him. If he tried hard enough, he could almost imagine it was Kiara playing with his hair.

But the imagination never worked...

"Gemma will be here in a few," Killian said, taking a step back and opening his eyes.