Chapter 6

"Can you help me with the zipper?" I glanced back realizing it wasn't Scarlett who was behind me, where she had been moments prior, but Kal.

There was a moment of hesitation, he stepped forward. His face was unreadable, except for the slightest crease between his eyebrows.

I bit my lip slightly as I felt him tug at the zipper, his knuckles ever so slightly brushing against the skin of my back. It almost made me shiver, but I managed to refrain.

"Apologies." He says softly as pulled it all the way up and takes a step back. I couldn't help turning to face him, the skirt of my dress almost twirling at the action. It was honestly the most beautiful thing I had worn in my life.

The lavender fabric itself seemed to have golden threads woven in it, making the dress shimmer as it caught the light. That paired with the slit down the side that exposed my leg from the thigh down made it quite the showstopper.

I had a mask that matched, made of lavender lace and gold ribbon that was equally as stunning.

"How do I look?" I can't help asking as I looked up into his eyes. I could see the blush blooming on his cheeks and up to his ears as he takes a moment to look me over from head to toe as if drinking in the sight of me.

"Breathtaking." He says so softly that I could barely hear him. But that was enough to cause my own blush.

Kal almost looked shy in that moment and I wished so badly that he was the one escorting me to the ball. Unfortunately, he was needed for the other part of this mission, leaving me to manage on my own.

"You know, I would have to ask you to dance if you were coming with us." I give him a soft smile.

His eyes are locked on mine, and for a moment I thought he might just brush me off.

"If you asked, I would oblige." He says, making my heart skip a beat.

"Then you better save me a dance after this is all over with," I whisper back.

The slightest smile tugs at his lips as he nods, reaching out for my hand and bringing it to his lips.

"Del'nai."

My cheeks were hot as I reluctantly pulled my hand away from his and donned my mask.

"I'm going to hold you to that," I say as I tie the ribbon that secures it.

"I expect nothing less, Be'shmai."

"Finian, we're in position," Tyler said over the coms.

He and Auri danced together across the room from where I was, weaving through the crowd in an attempt to get as close to Bianchi as I could manage.

It was easy, almost too much so. I moved my body to the rhythm of the music.

"Finian?" Tyler asks. "Do you read me?"

No answer.

I scanned the area for my squadmates, frowning as my eyes settled on Cat. Had something gone wrong?

"Scar, Thea. I need you two to go back and check on Fin. Cat, meet us by the bathrooms." Tyler instructed, and we all began to move. I met up with Scarlett after exiting the party, the two of us sprinting the best we could in our heels and dresses.

That was until the artificial gravity was taken out.

If it hadn't been for our magboots to ground us, we might have been stuck in the air like many of the other citizens of the World Ship.

Not that we weren't a spectacle ourselves. Both of our gowns were billowing out around us as we pushed off and maneuvered through the Grand bizarre and back towards Dariel's home.