Chapter 19

It made sense from seeing their interaction up close, how they were mirrors of each other in their rage.

We didn't have to chance to ask any more questions until we found a place to hide, Fin having managed to pop open an emergency hatch in the tube network, letting us hole up in the junction in at least 10 or 12 of the transport tubes.

It was a small space for 7 people to cram into, but it was the best we could do for the moment. I braced myself between Kal and Ty, my love's arm wrapped tightly around my waist to keep me secured as I held onto Tyler's arm to steady him too. The constant vibrating and subtle shifting of the tube around us made it nearly impossible to rest.

Not that we really could, considering what had just happened.

Ty was easily the most uncomfortable, having his legs curled up to protect his crotch after the beating that he took from Saedii. Scar was on his other side, protective of her brother.

"Kal," Our Alpha says after a few minutes. "We have a lot of problems on the boil already without this kind of surprise cropping up."

"My sister prides herself on appearing when least needed," Kal sighs, and I look up at him. Blood spatters his face, both his own, and splatters from the unfortunate Syldrathi that had approached him.

"Well, where'd she come from?" Scarlett asks.

"I know not," Kal replies. "I have not seen Saedii since before I left for the academy. She was unaware I had even joined Aurora Legion."

"She mentioned those Unbroken we fought back in the bar on the World Ship," Tyler says.

"I'm guessing they passed on word to her about you?"

Kal nods. "I did tell you I started that fight as a diversion."

"Because I used your name," he says.

Kal nods, brooding. "Perhaps I should have silenced them permanently...."

"Don't say that..." I whisper, and Kal meets my eyes. "You did what you could in the situation. We were in a tough spot and you made sure that we made it out of there alive."

"Be'shmai..." His eyes soften for a moment, giving me a small nod. "You are right. I wish I had not brought this hardship upon us, however."

"Tell us about your sister," Auri speaks up from Kal's other side, drawing his attention. Even as he looked away from me, his arm around me pulled me closer still against his side. I leaned my head against his shoulder, listening to his response.

"Our father was a warrior of the Warbreed Cabal," he says. "But our mother was a Waywalker. They are the most spiritual of my people. They study the mysteries of the Fold and the self. My father taught us to kill. But my mother tried to teach us the waste found in death."

Kal went quiet and I rested one of my hands on his at my waist, squeezing it gently.

"I took her lessons to heart. Saedii did not." Kal continues. "Saedii and I grew up together, but we grew ever apart. After our father died during the battle at Orion, I joined Aurora Academy to help bridge the gap between our two peoples. My sister joined the Starslayer to tear it wider. In these choices, you find all you need to understand us."

"You...," Scarlett begins. "You...lost your dad at Orion, too?"

My heart sunk as Scar spoke, realizing the crimson thread of fate that joined him, myself, and the Jones twins from that tragedy.

Ty and Scarlett share a glance and I see how much Scar's expression softens as she looks at my love again.

"I'm sorry, Kal," she murmurs. "You never said..."