Chapter 18

We were so close.

After how the last few weeks had gone, I didn't think that it was too selfish to believe we deserved to catch a break.

Apparently, the universe did not agree.

Disguised as GIA, Scarlett and Zila were securing our way out of Emerald City. I was thankful that Ty hadn't assigned me to that detail too, especially after our contact with the Ra'haam on Octavia.

I push away the thought as soon as it comes, instead of focusing my attention on my Alpha in front of me. He's leading the way to our newly commandeered ship, courtesy of Scarlett.

Guilt settled in my stomach at seeing the former crew scrambling to get their belongings off of the ship. In a way, it felt like we were no different than the ones we were opposing. Taking what er needed and not looking at the consequences of our actions.

But if we didn't, there was no plan B. It went up in flames when Aurora flattened the Longbow. We both had a long way to go in terms of controlling our powers. If I had been able to protect the Longbow too, we wouldn't be in this situation right now.

I shook my head, glancing to my side instinctively. Kal is there as always, but the calm reassurance I expect to see is nowhere to be found. My mind brushes against his as I slip my hand into his. His unease settle over me, sending a chill down my spine. Kal's large hand grips mine tightly.

"Kal?" I whisper his name, bit he is scanning the the docks around us.

"Hello Kaliis." A woman's voice cut off anything that Kal was about to say.

I turn to face where the voice came from, my heart dropping into my stomach and my hand already drawing my blaster.

She was breathtakingly beautiful, long black hair braided back and a black line of paint over her violet eyes. Though the three blades crossed above her brow and black armor showed exactly who she was.

Unbroken.

"Spirits of the Void..." Kal whispered,

"Kal?" Ty looks at Kal in disbelief.

From our joined hands, I feel my partner tense. Every muscle in his body tense and ready to strike, which was never a good sign.

Kal glances around at our team, giving quick instructions.

"All of you, listen to me carefully," he says. "Do not let her get close to you."

As he speaks, she draws ever nearer, the crowd around her parting to let her through with ease. I can't take my eyes off of her.

It was Kal's movement that caught my attention, pulling me behind him.

"Get behind me Thea."

I tried not to let my panic show, our eyes locking.

"Kal, what is going on?" I whisper.

"Be'shmai, please." He begs, our minds brushing to share our concern and fear for one another.

"It is true then." The unbroken woman's lip was curled up in disgust, her eyes still focused on Kal.

"When the adepts you thrashed in that bar brawl on the World Ship told me the tale, I could scarce believe it," she tells Kal. "I cut their throats to silence their lies. But I should have known you were capable of sinking to any depth. Any shame." Violet eyes flicker to me for a moment at the most, like I'm no more than scum under her boot. "Enough even to name a human beloved."

Kal's hand slipped into his jacket to where his disruptor was stashed.

"What do you want, Saedii?" He asks.