1.16

"Okay, let's pretend we've figured out the lights," Miss Jenn chuckles dryly. "If we've got a sound system, we've got a show. I need someone to sing for microphone levels. Who's not doing anything?"

"Kourtney is an amazing singer!" I exclaim and push her towards Miss Jenn.

"I'm a singer, not an actor," Kourtney chuckles. "This voice is for church."

"Thank you for volunteering!" Miss Jenn grins and hands her a mic. "Just sing anything from the show. Doesnt matter what. No judgement. This is a safe space."

"You've got this Kourtney!" I cheer and clap for her.

Kourtney starts to sing Bop to the Top.

Once she finishes, the mic starts giving feedback.

"Go kourtney!!" I shout.

"Okay, everyone, follow me. We're going to take a long five?" Carlos asks.

~~~

I walk down the hall when I see EJ and Carlos talking. I hide around the corner.

"Not a problem, cuz apparently, I don't have emotions," EJ sighs to Carlos.

"Sometimes you do have a way of performing that doesn't exactly feel authentic," Carlos states.

"Then what was I just doing on stage?" EJ asks.

"That felt more like an allergic reaction," Carlos replies.

"And what's authentic to you, Carlos?" EJ asks. "A forest full of human beings?"

"That concept may need a little bit of time," Carlos defends.

"And so do I," EJ mumbles. He then walks down a hall.

"EJ! Wait up!" I exclaim.

"What?" He asks, clearly annoyed.

"I-um.. I-"

"You heard that, didn't you?" He asks. He sighs and leans his back against the wall behind and and then slides down.

"Maybe..." I trail and sit next to him. "Wanna talk about it?"

"I saw Miss Jenn's audition files. She said 'I lack emotional connection to the material.'" He mutters.

"Well, EJ, maybe Troy just isn't the perfect roll for you," I suggest. "Did you think about that?"

"Well, no," He shakes his head.

"EJ you're a great actor. But sometimes you need to be able to relate to a roll in order to fully play it," I place my hand on his. He holds my hand and squeezes it. He then lifts his head to look up at me.

"Thank you, Thalia," He smiles softly.

"Anytime, EJ," I grin.

He then pulls me into a hug.

~~~

"Big Red, Thalia, could you go ask Ricky and Nini if they're okay with pizza?" Carlos asks.

"Yup," I nod. "Come on Big Red."

We both start looking around for them. I then open a door and see the two of them leaning into each other. For like, a kiss.

"Woah," I mutter.

They immediately stand up and turn to look at me.

"Um, we're ordering pizza... Are you guys- um- are you guys good with pepperoni and soy cheese?" I ask, pretending I didn't see what I just saw.

"Um, yeah," Nini nods.

"C-cool," I nod. I turn around and close the door.

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, please don't cry.

I try so hard to hold back the tears. I go around the corner and crouch to the floor. A single tear falls down my cheek.

crap

"Lia!" I hear. I try my best to be quiet. But then Ricky comes and sits next to me.

"Lia, I'm so sorry- I just," He chokes up.

"Don't be sorry," I sigh. " It's not your fault."

"No, but it is. It's my fault. I'm hurting you because I don't know how I feel!" He groans.

"Ricky, don't blame yourself. You can't choose who you love," I whisper.

"But, Thalia, I know I love you, but I also love Nini.." He trails.

"I understand. Because I think it's the way I feel about you and Nicholas," I sigh.

"I'm sorry, Lia," He sighs.