Prologue

I've always known who I was. My mom was one too - she was Earth. So when I was born, she saw the signs. She saw how fires glowed brighter near me, how I would stare at them as if they were the most amazing thing on the planet, how I tended to blow shit up (totally not intentionally.... usually).

She was the one who explained everything to me. She told me about the Four. About how each of us can manipulate one of the elements, and how - if we found each other - we would be able to learn how to control all of them. About how we were once revered like goddesses, adored like queens, hunted like witches.  

She told me about how we had been chosen (whether by Mother Earth, God or Santa I do not know) to protect the Earth and it's inhabitants from anyone who meant harm.

She trained me, instructed me in how to use my powers to the best of my ability, how to use my senses to learn all I could about whatever situation I was in. She taught me how to survive. How to fight.

She also told me about the Society. A society (shocker!!) dedicated to hunting us down - to kill or control us. Members of the Society are able to manipulate the elements too, they are not nearly as powerful as us, nor are they able to become "masters of the four elements" (sounds like something from the last airbender) but there are more of them - much more, they outnumber us at least 1000:1 (and that's only a rough guesstimate from someone who hasn't yet encountered them).

But I don't want to be hunted. I don't want to have to live my life in the shadows - it sucks. I want to be able to get on with my life without constantly looking over my shoulder to see whether or not the guy who just served me popcorn is about to put a bullet in my head. You can see how that might be frustrating.

One day, I'm going to take down the Society - my life's mission. And then I'm going to save the world. Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?? But this is my life, my destiny, it's what I was born to do.  

I am Ida Abott, I am one of the Four. My element is fire. 

And I'm going to save the world.