Chapter 2: Welcome to Canada

The first thing that Melody was aware of when she came to was a draft. She shivered and wrapped her arms tighter around her body, bringing her blanket closer to herself. She was sure that she kept her window shut at night. It was October after all. She didn't want to get out of her warm bed and close it. The sun wasn't even up yet! The girl sighed in agitation when the breeze stroked her skin. "Ok, fine..." She forced her eyes open and wiped away the sleep with her hands. Her surroundings coming into focus, Melody blinked in confusion. Why was the world upside down?

...

Upside down?!

"Eeeeyyyaaaahhhh!!!" Melody shrieked at the top of her lungs as she realized that she was hanging upside down from a pine tree branch. Swiftly with the strength she did not know that she possessed, Melody pulled herself upward and clung to the branch like her life depended on it. "High! This is very...very high!" As one would guess it - Melody did not like heights. "How on earth...?!" She gasped as she examined how high she was up from the ground. Her vision began to swim around and she shut her eyes tightly, turning away from the ground.

Ok. How the hell did she end up hanging upside down...in a tree...in the middle of a forest? The last thing that she remembered was going home for the evening. She was curious about how Elliot looked without his hair in his face - then he woke up and got angry. Then she got stabbed by Elliot's crazy contraption? Huh?

Melody shook her head. Why was that part of her memory all fogged up?

No. This wasn't getting her anywhere. Melody gulped and opened her eyes again. She would have to find a way to get back down. Somehow...

Melody slowly crawled towards the trunk of the tree. Her arms shook from the shock that she received upon waking up. "It's ok Melody." The girl tried to comfort herself. "No big deal. You climbed trees before in your childhood."

'Yeah. And broke your arm in the process.'

Melody squeaked and hugged the branch above her again. "Don't remind me!" She whimpered to herself, heart racing.

A muffled laugh came from above her, distracting her from her current goal of getting down. A masculine voice called down to her. "Hey, are you ok?"

"Huh?" Melody peeked over the side of the branch to try and spot the owner of the voice. "Who's there?" She tried to sound demanding, but her voice was wavering too much.

Whoever it was chuckled again before answering. "Try looking up from the other side of the branch."

Hesitantly, the girl did as she was directed and shifted around to the other side as much as she was able. Looking up she saw a light blue furry face grinning at her in amusement. It was a bat.

...

...

"Hi!" The bat greeted her cheerfully while roosting upside down above her.

Melody's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets and she lost her grip on the branch. She yelped in surprise, and would have fallen to her doom if the young bat did not catch her arm in his winged fingers.

"Whoops!" He pulled her back up onto the branch she was clinging to. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," the bat genuinely apologized to her before landing next to her. He watched her curiously as she wrapped her arms around the branch again. "Are you alright?" He asked her once more.

"You can talk," Melody blurted out dumbly, receiving an odd look from the bat. "A bat is talking to me." Ok, what kind of drugs did Elliot put in those shots?