43

It was reaching a breaking point. As much as he didn't want to admit it. Mia's word hit him the other day in the office. He couldn't escape the words that she said, and they were living in his head, no matter how hard he tried to push them out.

It was also hitting him where it hurts the most when he has been seeing Mike and Amena getting closer and more comfortable with each other at work. Now that he wasn't the boss of their team, Mike was back to his old work self. Getting way too comfortable.

He no longer straightens himself up when sees Steven come in the room and what annoyed him the most was the constant giggling, them talking, and he couldn't tell if they were flirting or being friends. Either way, it was living in his head the way they interacted without him being in the loop.

Steven didn't get why Amena was so laid back, and her team seemed to respect her for that. She was pretty balance in leading her team, not too hard on but not too soft on. Maybe he should take some notes from that.

Steven was the last person in the office again. Lately, Amena had been leaving earlier than usual, and now it just him being the last person in the office.

But tonight, was different it was the night of the achievement ceremony. Everyone left early so they could later head home and get ready to meet at the selected dining hall location for the ceremony.

Steven ended his final phone call and sighed against his chair. He took a breath and got up to get his coat and get ready to leave for the day. When he went to his chair outside, he drove home in silence, slower than usual and steadier. He wasn't interested in the achievements ceremony, but he had to go as a director. These types of events just made him feel awkward.

'Whatever the faster I get there and the sooner it will be over,' He told himself. He got to the driveway and parked his car, getting upstairs to shower and then change.

After his quick shower, he slipped on a grey crisp suit and slicked back his hair. He wasn't going to lie he was mostly interested in what Amena was going to be wearing. She was definitely winning an award tonight and her style never bores him.

Steven sighed heading back downstairs into his garage to his car and getting the car started to drive to the location of where the ceremony would be.

. . .

Amena was in standing in front of the mirror in her room putting on the finishing touches to her outfit for the night. A chic and simple black dress that was strapless and had a feather top among the collar, the dress stopped at knee length.

Amena ran her hands through the polyester material of the dress flattening it and turning around to admiring how the material clung to her body. Perfect size and gave her an hourglass figure. Amena went to the jewelry box to wear a simple thin gold necklace and pearl earrings.

Her phone rang as she was adjusting her earring, Amena picked it up from her table and saw it was Mia coming.

"What's up," Amena answered.

"You almost ready, I'm heading to the place right now," Mia told her.

"Yeah. I'm taking my car. See you there soon alright," Amena replied.

"You don't need me to pick you up?"

"Nah, I'm fine Mia but thanks," Amena said.

"Alright see you there," Mia said softly, and she hung up.

Amena put her phone down and put on her black pumps for the night. She did one last look in the mirror satisfied with everything head to toe and took off to her car outside. Driving to the location for the achievement ceremony this time it wasn't the regular Astin office area. It was in a dining hall area that held different events that could be used and host by anyone.