Chapter Twelve

The hydroloop is absolutely quiet as Adam, Chase, Leo, Douglas, and I ride back to the island after our battle with Troy and Giselle. I think we're all still thinking about how close to death each of us was today. I'm not really sure, though. These boys surprise me when they tell me what's on their mind, so I can't say to know anything about their thoughts. But I can say that I'm still dwelling on my close encounter with death, even when the hydroloop stops and the doors slowly open.

Adam's the first one off of the hydroloop, and I'm right behind him. The only person waiting for us is Emmie, a worried look plastered on her face until it breaks into the biggest smile I've ever seen. It warms my heart to know that she was waiting for us until we got back safely. She throws herself into Adam's arms. He holds her tightly to him, burying his head in her shoulder. I think he says something to her, but I can't hear it at all because it's only meant for her. 

Emmie is the first to pull away from Adam, and she jumps into my embrace next. I stumble backward because of the force of her, but I don't fall down. I stand strong, holding onto my best friend while she cries into my shoulder. I don't know how long we stand like that, but she cries into my shoulder until there's nothing left. I don't mind. I know how stressed she gets when we go on missions like this. It makes me feel so loved.

The last person Emmie hugs is Chase. He holds her like she's his entire world, which she probably is. Chase is lucky for a lot of reasons. He's super smart, smarter than anyone else in the entire world. He's strong, though not as strong as Adam or Bob. And he has some sort of semblance of normal with his relationship with Emmie. They can go out on dates and be normal teenagers together. That's something I've never really had before, and I wish I could have it.

"So, what happened after you guys went back to fight Giselle and Troy?" Emmie asks us after she pulls out of Chase's hug. He still holds onto her shoulders with an arm, preventing her from hugging Leo or even Douglas. "Did it go well?"

All of us stand in the cafe that's in front of the training area. Relief travels through my body as I stare at my three brothers, thanking whoever's listening that we all survived that battle with Giselle and Troy. Emmie holds tightly to Chase's arm while the rest of us stand alone. Yet we're not alone exactly. No, we have each other to help fight. That's what today has shown me, at least. Even though none of us get alone well right now, we all will let those feelings go when someone hurts our family. That's how us Davenport's work.

"Bree and Chase almost died," Adam blurts out before any of us could explain the context to what really happened today. 

"What?" Emmie asks, her breath caught in her throat. Her eyes dart between me and Chase. "How'd that happen?"

"Chase got taken by Giselle and Troy," I tell her quickly. I don't want Adam skewing the story to whatever is going on in his head. It most likely won't be correct. "Adam and I thought he had died there, but he tricked everyone by appearing and helping us defeat Troy."

"And Bree was going to sacrifice herself," Leo says in a deadpan tone. It makes it sound like he wanted me to sacrifice myself with Troy. 

Emmie shoots a look at me. She doesn't look surprised in the slightest. Does that make me feel bad? Not really. I don't feel anything right now besides annoyance. I would do anything to get rid of the evil in this world, and if it means sacrificing my life for the greater good, then so be it. Besides, that would get me out of this world faster, so I won't feel as trapped.

 "I can't believe there's not gonna be a movie made about us," Leo says sadly. It's like he totally forgot about what happened earlier with me and Chase nearly dying.

"You know, I do have a friend from high school who produces --"

"No!" Adam, Chase, Leo, and I shout at Douglas before he can even finish his sentence.