The Moon's Butterfly

Every night she lay awake paralyzed by the thought of the morning. She would look out the window and stare at the big, empty sky with only the moon as her company. That's all she ever did. Tears often ran down her cheeks and, images of her past danced around her room. Creating shadows of wounds that seemed to never heal.

One night on a particularly dark night, she got up from her bed and made her way to the window. She crouched down and looked about outside. Looking for the moon, yet it was not there. The girl's breath came out in quick and shallow breaths. She was sure that she would be swallowed whole tonight. The pain was too much of her to bear.

She closed her eyes and let the shadows pull at her cornrows and t-shirt. She let them whisper cruel words to her. She was starting to believe everything they were saying, and her breath was getting shallower by the minute. Her heart was slowing down, and she thought to herself this is it.

A tap at her window came and then another and another. It repeated till she finally looked up. Outside her window was a dark blue butterfly, the light of moon shone around it.

She watched the butterfly in amazement and for the first time in a while, she felt at peace.

Author's Note

A little bit of magic this time.