Chapter 6

“So, what are the cops going to do?” Joel was still trying to talk to me…I guess I should just accept him as my brother. I mean he was going to be apart of my life one way or the other right?

 “They’re going to try and track down when and where the video was posted. But I’m sure she skipped town by now. I feel awful because I really can’t help them. All I know about that night is she really wanted to go because she had some person to meet.”

 Joel gave me sad eyes, but for once I didn't care; let him be sad, Kayla is...was his sister to. “Hey it’s not your fault. You stayed home waiting for her, it’s not like you knew about anything.”

  “I guess you’re right….” I closed my eyes and there she was. Kayla laughing smiling, fiddling with her black curls batting her soft blue eyes. She really was a looker and I was proud to call her my sister. “It’s late…thanks for all the help today Joel…my mom seems really happy now.”

   “Yeah I probably should....I’ll see you around sis.”

   “Yeah, see you around…you know at school and stuff.”

   Joel smiled, and I have to admit I'm glad we're getting along; I mean I need him and I am pretty sure he needs me to. “I guess so…awesome way to start the new year isn’t it?”

   “Couldn’t have thought of any other way, see you around.” With that he walked off my porch waving just as Kayla always has. This was going to be a long year. “Kayla if you’re here….i miss you. I really do, and I…I hate you for going to that party.” Clenching my fist I felt the hot tears sting in my eyes. “I hate you for leaving me with this…mess. But I…oh you know I could never hate you.”

   “Yeah I love you to little pest.” She was sitting on the porch swing laughing and crying. I still wanted to know how I could see her.

   “No one sees you but me…I think…how- how is that even possible.”

  “That’s for us to find out I guess isn’t squirt? Guess it’s cause I’m here to help you with this…mess.”

  “What was it you were doing anyway? The night of the party?”

 “Well this whole things been a bit of a mess. I can’t explain my coming and going, you’re getting used to it now though I take it.”

 “And you’re avoiding my question.” She rolled her eyes and fiddled with my hair like she always did when we were kids.

“oh please don’t cry Mindy! I’m always here with you, and if I do manage to stop randomly appearing…I’m still with you then. If you must know I was going to that party to meat Joel and Cameron. We were going to talk about Joel being our half-brother, and if he knew anything about mom. But that never happened…everyone was so drunk but me and Hunter it was bad. Arianna was probably the worse…girl didn’t know her own strength I guess.”

I was laughing, crying and fuming all at the same time. How was it possible this all happened so fast? And right before my sixteenth birthday to. “I wish you could come back…”

 “maybe I can…someday you never know. But until then I’ll be waiting on the other side. See you squirt.”

  “Will you be back?” she grinned and nodded, and I felt a huge relief come off my heart.

 “Mindy, I'm always with you; I'll always be with sis.”