20. Heartbreak

Janice's POV

"Help me get water!" I ordered Nic playfully.

"No. You can get it yourself! Why should I help you?" Nic rolled his eyes.

"Who says he will be my good friend? I think a "good friend" encompasses helping them to get water," I snickered.

"Fine!" he grunted and snatches the water bottle out of my hands before grumpily walking away. Making sure he is out of sight, I quickly take his phone that is lying on our table and unlock it. 

I open Nic's chat with Grace and send "Come up to the library at 5pm. The place where we had our first kiss." As soon as the message is sent out, I delete it and switch on the airplane mode, before returning his phone to its original position.

I breathe in and out, trying to compose myself before Nic comes back.

Nic hasn't realised that his phone is on airplane mode. I glance at my watch, 4.55pm. She should be here soon. I should get ready.

"Nic, can you come help me get a book? It's too high up there, I can't reach it," I requested.

Nic gets up and follows me to the bookshelf. I point to a random book on the top shelf.

Finally, I see her walking towards our direction.

"Is it this one?" he asked as he turns his head backwards in the midst of pulling out the book. 

Knowing that she is about to reach us, I quickly pull Nic's head down by grabbing his neck and kiss him.

Grace's POV

Nic has been distant from me for the past few days, although I'm not entirely sure of the reason, but he mentioned that Janice needs his help. I know that Janice has always been jealous of us, but I choose to think that she really needs his help this time. Afterall, they were friends before I came along, and to be honest, Nic and I have spent too much time together that we have been neglecting our friends. So I decided that this is a good time for us to hang out with our friends.

But honestly, I haven't seen Nic in a few days and I'm already missing him. I sigh and as I am about to return to my work, my phone screen lights up.

A message from Nic! "Come up to the library at 5pm. The place where we had our first kiss.

I grin and faster got dressed.

As I get closer to the place where we had our first kiss, the sweet memories of us flash through my mind, making me feel all warm and fuzzy.

However, nothing prepared me for the sight in front of me. 

Nic and Janice's lips are locked together.

Nic's POV

What is going on? My eyes widen, not grasping the situation for a while.

Realising that this is wrong, I quickly push Janice away.

"What's wrong with you?" I whisper-shouted at her. She doesn't look at me, but turns to look to her left. I follow her trail of gaze, to find Grace standing there. Disappointment, confusion and heartbreak are all written clearly on her face. 

"Grace... This is not what you think..." before I can finish my sentence, a drop of tear rolls down her face. She quickly wipes it off and when I take a step forward, she steps backwards.

"Grace," I begged. She shakes her head furiously and turns backwards and walks away rapidly.

Shit.

Not sparing Janice a glance, I chase after Grace. I'll deal with Janice later.

"Grace," I called out. However, she doesn't stop and continues walking. She furiously presses on the lift button. Seeing that it won't reach soon, she heads for the staircase. I follow her, entering the enclosed area. "Grace! GRACE," I shouted, my voice booms, echoing around us.

She finally stops. I close the distance between us and grab her hand. As soon I touch her, she flinches. My heart breaks at this. She used to have goosebumps and blushes when I touch her, but now it revolts her.

"What you've seen is not what you think. Janice is the one who kissed me," I explained.

Grace's POV

Perhaps what Nic says is true, but my anger and disappointment is all overpowering my logical senses now. Whatever he tries to explain is not getting through to me at all. All I can think of is the scene of them kissing. 

"Well, she might be the one who kissed you, but who knows if you kissed her back?" I argued.

"You know I wouldn't!"

"How would I know that? You have been spending so much time with her these days. Perhaps she was just faking her illness and stress so that you can stay with her."

"No, she has some personal issues!"

"Everyone knows she likes you, well don't tell me you don't know that? You can't be that blind," I scoffed.

"Yes I know she likes me but I spend time with her as her best friend only. And I trust that she didn't fake it, she does have family issues."

"So you do know she likes you and you still hang out with her, even when you have a girlfriend. What am I supposed to think now?"

"You said you love me, so you should have trust in me!"

"I can't trust someone who allows his bestfriend to kiss him, even when he knows that she is in love with him!"

"Fine! When there's no trust, there's no love," he looks at me, breathing heavily through his nostrils.

I turn away and run down the stairs, without looking back.