18. Before

Grace's POV

As I'm getting ready for our date, my phone rings.

I put down my hairbrush and reach for the buzzing phone. Nic is calling.

"Hello," I said.

"Hey Grace, have you left the house yet?" Nic asked.

"Nope, but soon. Why?"

"Oh thank goodness. Babe, I'm so sorry but I have to cancel this date. My project has some issues that I have to settle."

"Oh... It's okay! What time will you be done then?"

"Um, I'll be in the library until 10pm? Or maybe longer?"

"What about your dinner? Please don't tell me you're skipping it."

"Hehe, I was gonna do that, but I guess I'll grab a sandwich from downstairs." I can imagine him scratching his head sheepishly.

"You better."

"Yes mommm," he groaned and continued, "And babe, I'm so sorry once again. If it weren't for this, I could have seen you. You have no idea how much I miss you."

"I miss you too, don't get too tired!"

I hang up the phone and let out a sigh as I plop down onto my bed.

Gosh, I miss Nic so much! I look up at the mirror, seeing a reflection of myself dolled up in a dress, all ready for a date. It will be such a waste of effort if I change back to my pajamas. Suddenly, an idea appeared in my brain, like a light bulb.

Here I am, standing in front of the medical library, holding a bag of bentos for Nic and myself. I make my way through the vast library that is surrounded with bookshelves, packed with thick hardcover books all the way to the ceiling. The noise of keyboard typing and the soft padding of my shoes against the carpeted floor are the only audible sounds.

I walk around the library as I search for the sight of Nic. After a few minutes, I spot Nic in the discussion room of a library. I moved towards the room and stand a few meters away as I watch him through the wide glass window of the room, gesturing enthusiastically as his mouth moved, voicing his idea to his project mates. Everyone's eyes are solely focusing on him, listening to every word of his attentively. What a captivating speaker he is. As I glance through the discussion room, identifying a few familiar faces of Nic's friends, I also spot his best friend, Janice. She was sitting right in front of him, giving all her attention to Nic as if hanging onto every word he says.

As if sensing someone else was watching him, Nic finally looks out of the room through the glass wall. His eyes first show surprise and then delight. He quickly excuses himself and runs through the door, like a delighted small boy who sees his favourite candy shop, he pulls me into a hug.

"Why didn't you tell me you're coming?" he asked, I could hear the excitement beaming through his voice.

"I wanted to surprise you," I laughed.

He begins to rock me sideways, while hugging me tightly. 

"Um Nic, your project mates are watching us," I whispered, blushing, when I saw everyone watching us, laughing and cheering. Thankfully the room is sound proof, or else I bet the whole library can hear them. He turns back and rolls his eyes at them, before pulling me away from there.

He turns his head back, and realises that I'm carry a bag, and quickly reaches for it and carries it. 

"What is this?" he asked as he holds my hand and guides me to somewhere (I don't know where).

"Bento. I figured out that you won't be getting proper meal, so I thought I will get us this. If I had known you had friends around, I would have gotten more," I replied as I find ourselves winding through the maze made from tall bookshelves. 

Finally we stop at a quiet, dimly lit corner. Nic turns to me and gives a warm smile, his eyes showing something I have never seen before, it is so warm and tender, I just can't describe it.

"You have no idea how much I have been looking forward to today. I have got everything planned out for us, but then my project has some issues that has to be settled before the presentation on Monday," he says, tucking my hair behind my ear gently, as he looks into my eyes.

"What did you plan?" I asked, thinking it is just a normal date, like every other ones we have been to. Don't get me wrong, they are all wonderful and special.

"Well... I planned to tell you that," he paused, took in a deep breath, and continued, "I love you."

Before I can grasp the three words that he said, Nic cups my face with one hand, and moves his head towards mine. His eyes flutter down towards my lips, and I copy him. As his lips touches mine, I close my eyes, feeling the softest and lightest touch, that brings about a warm, fuzzy sensation throughout my body. Time seems to stop there, like we are the only ones present in this moment. We stay there for awhile, before he pulls away, making me yearn for that magical feeling. I open my eyes slowly to see him watching me.

"So?..." he asked. I could hear the anxiety laced in his voice, as he waits for my answer.

I grab onto his shoulders, stand on my toes, and crane my head towards him. I gently peck on his lips before pulling away and whisper "I love you too."

A smile graces his face and he cups my cheek and pulls me in for another kiss. He holds onto the back of my neck as he deepens the kiss, pouring in all his feelings for me into it. It is that moment I know why his gaze changed. It is love.

________________________________________________________________________________

The last few paragraphs make me blush so hard!