Fourteen

The guards pushed open the heavy doors. Ira and Sasha walked between them and into the Throne room. Jett and the Queen were standing warily in front of Kinzie. They all looked up as the two women entered.

"Kinzie," Ira approached her, "how are you feeling?" She kept back from her awkwardly, not comfortable with showing affection to her long-time enemy.

"Fine," Kinzie said emptily. Dried blood was still stuck to her hair and on her clothes. She limped towards the table in the centre of the room. Azie's body lay serenely on it. Two green glass stones had been placed on her eyelids and someone had brushed and plaited her hair. A white silk robe had been put on her and her hands were crossed over it, holding the traditional dagger she'd been given after passing her test. Ira looked away, her stomach churned.

"Mother, we must have the funeral soon. We cannot keep her here." Otrera took a breath,

"Soon, my love."

"Tomorrow," Ira interjected.

"If you wish," Otrera said quietly.

Kinzie reached out and gently touched Azie's face, then lowered her head and stayed silent for a moment. Ira glanced at her face, she wasn't crying. She lifted her head, her eyes filled with rage.

"We must have revenge," she hissed. "We cannot allow them to get away with this. I will rip every single one of them to shreds with my bare hands."

Her voice echoed around the palace. No one dared speak up, until Otrera said,

"We will Kinzie, we have not forgotten who did this."

"We must plan our attack now," she ordered, stepping away from the table. She swayed slightly and Jett rushed to stable her. Ira caught the glance between them. She looked away, catching the eye of Sasha who was standing back, away from them.

"Who is she?" Kinzie suddenly asked, looking at Sasha.

"This is Sasha. She saved you, and Azie." The Queen replied.

Kinzie looked her up and down slowly, then asked,

"Is she one of them?"

"Not anymore," Sasha replied. Kinzie stared threateningly at her, but Sasha remained unperturbed. Suddenly Kinzie strode forward towards her. Ira noticed Sasha straighten defensively and wondered whether she'd have to break up another fight. But Kinzie only stuck out her forearm in front of her.

"I was injected with something right here," she pointed out a red mark on her arm, "what was it?"

Sasha stepped forward tentatively to inspect it further.

"Most probably a sedative, or a truth serum."

"I didn't tell them anything," Kinzie interjected.

"A sedative then," Sasha restrained a smirk. Kinzie pulled her arm back.

"My dear," Otrera spoke up, "you must rest now."

"I have no time for rest."

"Kinzie," Jett implored. She turned to him with a sneer on her face, paused for a moment, then strode back to the sick bay.

Jett turned to the Queen,

"Will she be ok?"

"Of course. She always is," her voice was weak, she seemed almost fed up with having to be around them.

"We will leave you now mother," Ira stated, "and begin planning our attack tomorrow."

Otrera dipped her head towards the three of them, they bowed in return then left through the groaning double doors.