Five

The crowd roared around him as he stood at the entrance to the stadium. Ira stood beside him reminding him of all the different techniques he should use and last minute warnings about his opponent.

"He is just a bearer so he shouldn't be too experienced in fighting, but I saw him earlier and his arm muscles are a lot bigger than yours so don't let him land a punch to your head or you'll be dazed and he'll get the upper hand. Did you get that?"

"Yes, it's ok don't worry. I'll be fine." Jett assured her.

"It's not you I'm worrying about. It's what your fighting will do to my reputation." Jett rolled his eyes, he could see a smile play across Ira's face.

A horn sounded from inside the stadium.

"Ok. Go. And don't embarrass me!" Ira pointed a finger at him as she left to find her seat in the crowd.

Jett took a deep breath and walked out into the deafening stadium. He emerged into the daylight, the sun momentarily blinding him. Huge wooden stands stretched up high into the sky, they were filled to the brim with warriors screaming for blood. It looked like nearly everyone was there, apart from the men, they weren't allowed to watch the fight.

The crowd roared even louder as the two men appeared. Jett sized up his opponent. As Ira had said his arms were the most noticeable thing about him, but being as big as they were he would find it hard to stay on his toes. All Jett had to do was tire him out.

The horn sounded a second time and the fight began.

The bearer didn't hesitate and immediately swung at Jett. A huge fist came flying towards Jett's face, and just in time he ducked and aimed a swift punch at his stomach. But his opponent was not fazed.

The bearer aimed another punch at Jett's head, but his fist connected with Jett's shoulder instead.

Jett stumbled, and as he tried to regain his balance he felt a muscly arm wrap around his neck like a boa constrictor.

Jett struggled to free himself from his opponents grasp. He twisted his body to get away in vain. He grabbed at his opponent's arm, then he brought his torso down and the bearer flipped over and onto his back.

His opponent scrambled to get up and Jett took his chance. He brought his foot back and kicked him in the face. A tumultuous roar shook the stadium. Jett looked around at the clamouring crowd. He spotted Ira seated next the Queen on her throne.

She raised her eyebrows at him knowingly, then her expression changed to alarm. But before Jett could react, all the air was knocked out of him as a punch was landed on his stomach. He collapsed to the ground as his opponent got up. He grabbed Jett's head and slammed his knee into his face.

Jett's nose erupted with hot blood. He fell onto his back, but as soon as he landed he jumped back up and connected his fist with the man's nose. He felt it break under the force.

His opponent bent over to put his head in his hands and Jett jumped up and put his whole body weight into his elbow that came crashing down onto the bearer's back. He collapsed in pain. Jett kicked his ribcage for good measure, then stood back to watch his reaction.

He stayed on the ground, cradling his wounds.

The horn sounded once more and the crowd erupted in a frenzy of screams and cheers.

Jett looked up again to Ira, but she didn't look as impressed as he'd hoped she would be.

As he left the stadium he bumped into Ira who had been looking for him.

"So, I made you look good didn't I?" Jett said teasingly.

"I wouldn't say so." Ira ignored his joke.

"What's wrong? I won, is that bad?"

"It's not bad that you won. But you could have won better. You could have finished that fight in half the time, but you were too busy messing around." Ira gestured to his bleeding nose, "That wouldn't have happened if you'd stayed concentrated. Next time it could be a dagger in your chest. You're lucky."

Jett sighed and ran his hands over his face.

"Right. Sorry, I won't do it again." He'd learned not to argue with Ira by now.

Ira pointed a finger at him.

"Don't test me. I have trained you well for this. Don't take me for granted, I could get you killed in a second. Keep that in mind next time you decide to have a little fun with your opponent. This is not a game." She hissed. Jett felt his anger rise in his chest but he pushed it down. It wouldn't do him any good.

Ira turned and walked away. Jett followed as he was supposed to.

He was used to being treated like dirt, but that didn't mean he liked it. Sometimes he felt like Ira was doing it on purpose just to get a reaction out of him. That annoyed him even more.

As they walked Jett saw a girl making her way over to them. She had red hair, a dash of freckles across her perfect face and dark green calculating eyes. Jett couldn't take his eyes off her. Her hair looked like it was on fire in the sun, her pink lips were tugged up at the corners in a smirk, and she held her head like nobody around her was worth her spit.

She stopped in front of Ira and raised a patronising eyebrow.

"I saw your boy's little spectacle. It was very interesting." She said everything like she was telling a joke only she understood.

"Not now Kinzie." Ira spat.

Kinzie ignored her and glanced at Jett. She smiled approvingly.

"Well, I have to say, he really does live up to my expectations." A small laughed escaped her lips. "It must be so hard knowing you have to keep your hands off him until training is over. I wouldn't be able to resist." Her dark eyes ran up and down Jett's body.

"Well, unlike you I have a little self control."

"Aw, come on. Don't be so boring! I want to know what it's like to train someone. It sure takes up a lot of your time. I'd know, I'm in command of the hunts while you're busy."

Ira tensed up.

"Well, don't get too comfortable, as soon as I've finished I'll take up my position again." Jett detected a slight sense of insecurity in Ira's voice. Kinzie must have picked up on it too and she pounced while her prey was vulnerable.

"I'm not too sure, there's talk that you're losing you're skills. While you've been training your boy you've spiralled a bit. And if you're not up to standard, you know whose going to be taking your place." Kinzie bit her lip playfully.

"Keep dreaming Kinzie, you'll never replace me." Ira's eyes burned with rage. But Kinzie wasn't at all intimidated.

"You think you've got priority over me, but Queen Otrera isn't stupid, and when the time comes, she'll know who to choose. Just make sure you don't get your hopes up, I wouldn't want you to get upset." She winked at Ira, then walked away. Her hair flowing behind her, setting the sky on fire.

"Who was that?" Jett asked.

"Her name is Kinzie. She's my second in command during a hunt. She's been competing for my position for years. But I haven't got anything to worry about." But Jett could sense the uneasiness in her voice as she said it. "Don't take any notice of her Jett. She's trouble." Ira continued walking.

Jett was shocked, he'd never seen Ira's confidence waver the slightest bit in the few months he'd known her. He was worried for her, but he also enjoyed it. It showed that she wasn't the fearless warrior she made herself out to be.