Eight

Azie stared up at the Grand Entrance. How she had longed to see those big wooden doors once more. The creaking of the wooden beams as they opened was like hearing again after so many years, a lullaby your mother used to sing to you. She gazed out into the jungle. A memory of the last time she had stood in that exact place came back to her. Her heart hammered against her chest, but through all the fear, Azie knew that out there in the jungle, was the only place she could think, where she could forget, where she could be herself.

"Azie!" She turned, it was Ira. A feeling of pure, warm joy spread throughout her. Her sister. How many times had she thought of her face while she was away? Countless.

"Sister." Azie replied. Ira grinned, something that would only ever appear for Azie. Their mother had always commented on this. Ira had always been hard to please and stony-faced, but Azie never had any trouble with bringing a smile to her sister's face. It was her favourite hobby, her greatest talent.

"Where are you going?" There was a hint of trepidation in Ira's voice.

"For a walk. I've missed the jungle." Ira looked at her sister uneasily. She didn't want her to leave again so soon, not after last time. Azie sensed the fear.

"I just need to clear my mind. To be alone." Azie reassured her. Ira nodded, she could understand the need to get away. People stared constantly at Azie, and their mother had been no help. Constantly worried, trying to make her feel comfortable, pushing for an answer on what had happened. She meant well, but it was understandable that Azie needed a break from it.

"Ok, just be careful. I won't tell mother, she'll worry too much." Ira resolved.

"Thank you sister." Azie put her hands on Ira's shoulders. Then the two girls embraced each other. Ira knew even then, that she would treasure that moment for the rest of her life. As they pulled apart, Azie said,

"Don't worry, I will tell you what happened. Just let me think for a bit. Maybe when I get back we can talk?" She knew the struggle Ira was going through. The protective need to know what had happened to her sister, battling the knowledge that she needed space, that she shouldn't be pressured.

"That would be nice." Ira smiled once more.

"I will see you soon sister." Azie kissed her sister's hand and walked through the Grand Entrance and out of the camp.

Ira let out a long breath of air. A sense of foreboding settled on her shoulders. She dug her nails into her palms, her stomach fluttering with nerves. Jett appeared beside her.

"You're worried about her." Ira's uneasiness converted itself into the anger she had felt for Jett the day before. She wasn't particularly upset about the questions, but she had never been good at letting things go.

"Of course I'm worried, do you really think I'm so heartless?" Her tone was harsh, but Jett was not fazed by it.

"No, I think you care a great deal. Which is why you're standing here watching her leave. You want to follow her, make sure she's safe, but you know she wouldn't like it." Ira looked up at Jett. Her anger died down slightly. She said nothing and turned her head back towards the gates that were slowly creaking shut.

"I'll go." Jett said.

"Excuse me?"

"You know she would be upset with you if you followed her. But she doesn't know me, she doesn't know you know me. I'll make sure she's safe, and if she discovers me, you're in the clear." Ira's heart lifted at hearing these words. She had treated Jett abominably throughout his training, yet here he was, prepared to be hated in order to put her mind at rest.