Chapter 16

That evening at dinner Lucifer was seated next to Charlotte at the table and when the food was served he was only given an apple. But Lucifer was so hungry that he didn't care about the simplicity of the meal and when he took the first bite tears began to swell into his eyes and he broke into a sob.

"Good sir is everything alright?" Alastor asked while trying his very best to remain polite and courteous to him.

"I beg your pardon." He wept bitterly. "I did not mean to cause a scene but it's just that my meal has just made me realize what a terrible mistake I had made long ago."

The man then told a tale of how he was once the wealthy owner of a prized apple orchard with an adoring wife and a devoted child. But after his wife died he became very bitter and cruel, mistreating his workers and driving his daughter from his house over the most foolish reason. He then spoke of how shortly after his daughter left his abused workers revolted against him, they stole all his money and burned down his house and orchard, leaving him with nothing. And ever since he had been wandering around having to beg for his food.

"And now that I have eaten an apple after this tragedy." He bemoaned. "I have been reminded of much more happier times. Of when my wife lived and when my daughter was with me. This simple fruit has reawakened my long buried happiness and it has also made me realize just how deeply my daughter loved me and how wrong I was to send her away. She undoubtedly hates me now and I would not blame her for she has every right to. But I would give anything in all the world to see her again and tell her how sorry I am."

Upon hearing this Charlotte moved her hand to gently grasp her father's and then she said to him with all the love in her heart,

"I love you more than all the apples that once grew in our orchard."

Lucifer looked at her, his eyes seemed to clear for a moment and he finally recognized his daughter.

"Charlotte?" He said almost terrified to hope. "Is it really you?"

"Yes Father. It's me. Your little Apple Cheek."

"It is you!" He cried recalling the nickname his wife had given her when she was a child. "Oh my dear Charlotte, how I've misjudged you. How I have missed you."

"Those are the words I have so longed to hear." She said before hugging him.

"Can you ever forgive me?"

"Always Father."

"But how can you? I doubted your love for me and disowned you thoughtlessly."

"Yes but I still loved you even after that and I see now that you have regret your actions. I will not bear a grudge toward you."

Alastor then approached the two of them with Caroline in his arms. He still looked very skeptical about pardoning Lucifer for what he had done to his wife but he eventually gave the man a smile of forgiveness. Charlotte was pleased but then a whole new fear occurred in her heart. What would her father think of her husband? Lucifer had always been a bigoted man and Alastor was of Creole descent. Would he approve of their marriage?

"Father." She said nervously. "This is my husband Alastor Devalcourt. He's a wonderful man and he's been really good to me. He loves me so much and I love him. I pray that we have your blessing."

Lucifer looked at Alastor, he handed his daughter to his wife and then held his hand out to shake it with his father in-law. Charlotte held her breath as she waited for her father's reaction and to her surprise not only did Lucifer take his hand but instead of shaking it he got down on his knees.

"Thank you." He said. "Thank you for taking care of my daughter and loving her when I failed to do both. I am forever in your debt sir and you have my blessing for a long and happy marriage. I pray that it lasts much longer than my did."