Chapter 13

Takes place in the present. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Puffy looked up at the ceiling of the community house. She sighed and stared down at her hands. She sat on the bottom step of the spiraling staircase. Puffy glanced behind her as the sound of footsteps approached her.

"Hey Puffy," Sapnap said, his voice was quiet and saddened. "Is this seat taken?" He gestured his hand to the step next to her.

"No," Puffy patted beside her, inviting him to sit. He nodded and sat down, briefly smiling. They sat in silence, only looking around the room and admiring the old building.

"This was the first thing we ever built," He said, looking down at his scuffed hands. "Well, Dream built," He let out a weak chuckle. "Me and George weren't that much help."

"You guys sound like you were close," Puffy glanced at Sapnap, he fidgeted with his fingers.

"We were. I don't know if we are anymore. . ." There was silence again. Puffy didn't know Sapnap too well. She didn't know what she should say. There was one thing that was haunting the back of her mind. She paused then spoke.

"Sapnap, do you know why Dream acts the way he does?" She watched Sapnap flinch, he hesitated then settled into the past.

"From what I know, he didn't have that great of a childhood." Sapnap started to play with his hands as he tried to pick for words to say. "His mom went missing out at sea when he was young, he grew up with his grandmother, well, until she passed away. I don't think he knew that she was sick before it happened." Sapnap stared at his feet. "When he was younger, he had a tendency to play things off, like nothing was wrong. I think he just pretended she was fine." Sapnap glanced back at Puffy, she had sad eyes. "And then he was taken back to the orphanage that had him when he was a baby." Puffy looked down at her hands. "Bad tried adopting him but Dream didn't want to leave, I guess it wasn't so bad there." He shrugged.

"Why would he want to stay there?"

"Don't know. The place looked nice."

"I guess," Puffy pondered on the thought for a moment. "What was the orphanage called?"

"Brockman I think, why?"

Puffy felt her muscles tense by the name. She didn't know the reason for it. The name danced in her head along with her memories. It was familiar and for some reason it gave her a bad feeling.

"No reason, just curious." She examined her hands, they were clenched into fists.

"Well then, eventually he came over one day to me and George. He came and was wearing that stupid mask!" Sapnap nearly jumped from his seat, his fists raged." He was asking me and George to join him. And now we're here." He gestured to the room. The two fell silent. 

"I haven't seen his face in years and he refuses to show it to anyone. . ." His voice got quiet.

"I'm sorry that you're going through this."

"You don't need to be sorry, Dream was the one who didn't want us to be friends anymore, not you." Sapnap chuckled loosely, Puffy knew he was fighting back his tears, his face looked painful.

The quiet consumed the room. An owl hooted and pierced the silence. Sapnap left without another word. Puffy didn't follow him. He took off, tears swelling in his painful eyes. She was alone in the community house and the cold night air. It came from the second floor, drifted through like a ghost. She thought about the things that Sapnap had said. His grandmother. . . Died? Her eyes started to water. Why am I crying? She felt her body quiver as more tears slid down her face. Puffy fell to her knees and cried. I don't want to be sad. The wind brushed its cold hands on her shoulders. She hugged herself, her tears gently fell down her face. Why am I sad?

Why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~