Prologue

~•°The Start Of Something Beautiful°•~

(10078 Words)

_Partly Edited_

_Partly Edited_

~•°•°•°•~

Ashley wasn't at all like his younger sister.

The boy, well past the age of 7, had recently become a part of her close-knit family of one when they both made the decision to leave behind the picturesque landscapes of Scotland. The pain of losing a sister was too much for the woman who his adoptive sibling affectionately called 'Aunty.' She had always dreamed of adopting a child of her own, and that dream finally came true when they settled in England. Her maternal instincts intensified, even after taking in Amelia, leaving her yearning for a child of her own. Sharon's inability to have biological children was the catalyst that drove her to adopt a child of her choice. The transition marked a significant turning point for all of them as Ashley gradually adapted to his new roles as both 'son' and 'brother'.

It's almost whimsical how Sharon decided to adopt Ashley, with the idea of him being a cousin for Amelia. She wasn't the girl's biological mother either after all. Being the only family of hers left, she had no other choice but to formally take the young girl under her care. It was, perhaps, a tad perplexing, but Ashley rarely questioned it. For him, it was an escape from the confines of a dreary orphanage, and so, he embraced the title of brother instead of cousin with an open heart.

"Did you want to join me tonight, Ash?" Amelia's Scottish accent still resonated strongly in her voice, a comforting sound to Ashley's ears. It was a stark contrast to the monotonous drone of his previous caretakers but it was a welcomed one. He found solace in her presence as she unknowingly drove his nightmares away.

Sighing away those thoughts, Ashley sat up in his bed, watching his vibrant-haired sister kneel beside her own. This nightly ritual had become a part of their lives in the short time they lived here. Ashley usually listened and occasionally offered up a few words, all in the pursuit of quieting the cacophony of voices that haunted their minds every night. It was a shared burden, one that Ashley wished would leave them alone.

However, something felt different about tonight, an inexplicable pull in his chest. There was a new chill in the air that set his bare arms aflame with goosebumps. His usual quips fell silent as it settled heavily on his heart. Perhaps it was just the fatigue weighing heavy on his eyelids, but Ashley couldn't shake the sense that tonight was unique, in some impossible way.

Despite these peculiar feelings, he chose to ignore them and gestured to Amelia with a shake of his head. "I'll listen, Ames," he muttered quietly before reclining on his royal blue bedsheets and gazing at the sizable crack on the opposite side of the room. It's large, long body felt all the more intimidating as he contemplated the mystery of its unusual presence. Anything to distract his mind of the pleasant thrill going down his spine. An unusual feeling that wasn't at all welcome.