7

(16 years old)

I sigh as I count the amount of money I had. I had been saving money since I was 11 and yet, it looks like I wont be able to run away till im 19.

That is...unless I get a job. With the things kidnapping young girls, no work places will accept a girl under 18.

The only places girls can work is shady shops or the once in a blue moon online job. With online jobs being the best way for girls to work, all of them are constantly full. 

I hear the slow creaking sound of someone coming up the stairs.

Recognizing the heavy steps I quickly pull my blanket up and pretend to be asleep.

The door slowly creeks open as my 'brother' Jackson peeks in.

As he walks to my bed I feel his persistent stare.

Everyday without fail for the past year he has come to say goodnight to me.

At first I thought it was creepy, and although it still is, its become routine.

Always pretending 

Always feeling pressured 

Always confused 

After Jackson left my room I waited until I didn't hear a sound and quickly got up and locked the door.

Turning my light the lowest it could go while still being able to see, I start packing my bag for school the next day.

Everything from Pens, Pencils, Highlighters, Food, and Pepper spray go in my bag.

I mean its always better to be prepared right?

I've managed to last 9 years without seeing or speaking to the things

But as time goes on and theirs less and less humans I fear that wont last long