Chapter 5

-Michael-

        I didn't expect Leah to reply to the texts once she figured out it was me. It didn't take much to convince Casey to give me Leah's number. I just put on my best "I'm about to cry face," which wasn't hard, because I really was about to cry. Then I took a deep breath and texted her. All in all, the conversation went much better than I expected, until the end.

        I'm sorry, but I was probably exaggerating. Instantly, whatever false hope she had given me was shattered. This was stupid. I had met her twice. Why did she have this amount of control on me? And why was she being like this to me? One minute she tells me she feels the same as me, the next she basically tells me to go fuck myself? What?

        I'm sorry to have bothered you I typed, shutting my phone off and flopping down on my bed. 

        "Damn it," I whispered, feeling angry. I pulled out my phone and turned it back on, because I couldn't live without the stupid thing. I turned it back on to see a message from Leah. I sighed, mentally preparing myself.

        I'm really sorry, was all it said. Sighing, I threw the phone aside (thank God it landed on my bed) and turned on the xBox. 

-Leah- 

        Almost a month had passed since the unlucky run-in with Michael. My empty and lost feelings had not changed a bit. Since Casey was now dating Ashton, I was often dragged along to their concerts. The band, which was Michael, Luke, Ashton, and Calum, was named 5 Seconds of Summer, and though I hated to admit it, I really, really liked their music. They were getting pretty popular around town. And I secretly loved going to their concerts. It was an excuse to see Michael after I'd so rudely pushed him away. 

        At once of the concerts, I was sitting with Casey backstage. When the concert was over, the four very sweaty boys came over to us. Luke and Calum gave everyone they could sweaty hugs, while Ashton sat down next to Casey. Michael awkwardly stood at the edge of the room, not daring to look at me or make eye contact. 

        "Erm, Michael?" I asked in a very small voice. His head whipped around to face me.

        "Yes?" he said in a very stiff, formal voice, which contrasted with the boyish look of surprise on his face. 

        "I've-I've been thinking."

        "And?" I took a deep breath.

        "I'm really sorry. I mean it," I said cautiously. I don't know why I said this. I knew what he had done. I knew he probably hated me. But I couldn't deal with how depressed I'd been feeling. I needed to at least talk to him.

        "Okay?" Michael asked. Before I knew what I was doing, I was standing up, walking cautiously over to him.

        "Can you forgive me?" I asked, fully aware of the fact that I sounded like a little girl. Michael ran his fingers through his (pink) hair.

        "Look, Leah," he said, but I cut him off. I had no idea what came over me, but I pressed my lips against his. After a shocked second, he started to kiss me back. We stayed like that, kissing, until he suddenly pushed me away. 

        "Shit," I said, stepping backwards. Last time a girl made him mad, he smacked her. What will happen to me? Nothing.

        "I'm-sorry?" Michael squeaked, before turning around and running off. 

-Michael-

        Kissing Leah was the best thing that had happened to me in a long time. Not even the recent success of the band had made me this happy. But, in the past, she'd acted like she hated me. I didn't want to hurt her. So I had to push her away. How long until she realized that I was not good for her? How long until she realized that I didn't deserve her?

        A few minutes later, I got a text from her.

        Can we please talk it out? 

        Are you sure you want to? I know I desperately wanted to talk to her. 

        Yes. Please. Meet me outside in ten. Okay?

        I'll be there. 

        I was. I was waiting for her as she walked out.

        "Michael! I'm glad you actually came," she said with a shy smile, and I could tell she actually meant it. 

        "I'm really sorry," I apologized, and she walked up to me. "Before you say or do anything," I held up a hand. "Let's start over?"

        "Yeah. Okay." She stopped walking. "How about ice cream?"

        "That sounds great." I put on a false smile and walked with her to the ice cream store. I was doing this for her. I wasn't sure how I felt. I just knew that I did not like seeing her in pain. Which, really, means I like her, doesn't it? I nodded my head, with a real smile on my lips this time.