55. car on fire

i looked at myself in the mirror before getting ready to leave to go to the alibi

my stomach was visibly bigger now but not too much to where my clothes were too hard to put on.

i saw carl walk up from behind me and he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and kissed my cheek.

"are you ready to go, love?" carl asked me as i turned around in his arms and kissed him.

"let's go." i said.

lexi drove mike, carl and their police friend officer tipping to the alibi.

"oh, shit! it's officer carl and officer mike. hide your drugs and illegal firearms." kevin said as they walked in.

"very funny." mike said.

"we're off duty, kev. and this is my comrade in blue, arthur tipping. he's helping me chase the gentrifiers and scumbag developers off the streets of our beloved south side." carl said as all of us sat at the bar.

"pleasure. making sure no one shoots this idiot?" kevin said to tipping.

"doing what i can. but he's an animal out there." arthur said as i laughed.

"i know." kev said.

"the dancers are gonna put their costumes on upstairs." veronica said as she walked into the bar.

"what can i get you guys?" kevin asked.

"i will be having a beer, and arthur here will order something virgin. same goes for emma." carl said.

"well, you came to the right place. you like your drinks pink?" tommy asked arthur.

"or bright blue?" kermit asked.

"how about a coke?" arthur asked.

"what about you guys?" kevin asked mike and lexi.

"my lady and i will have some wine." mike said.

"well, this place is great." arthur said.

"enjoy it while it lasts. it's gonna be a tanning salon in a couple weeks." tommy said.

"really?" lexi asked as veronica nodded.

"wait, you guys already sell?" carl asked.

"we got an offer. came in kind of low. we have a couple of days to decide if we're gonna accept it." veronica explained.

"shame. there aren't a lot of places like this around anymore." arthur said.

"you mean money losing businesses?" veronica asked.

"great dive bars where your shoes stick to the floor and you're not elbowed away from the bad by dudes with man buns." arthur said.

"amen." tommy said raising his drink.