Chapter 18: A Ride to London

Dorian had finally found the address. He hadn’t been able to find Tommy, and with a sinking feeling, he ran in the merciless fog. He used his pay to light the lantern, allowing him to see in the light. But, his eyes still squinted as he reached the top of the hill- leading to the Blake country house. It was an established home which used a chestnut brown stone for its walls and was surrounded by thick, iron gates. As it was isolated, it had given Dorian more than enough trouble. 

His was running out of breath. Sweat made him feel uncomfortable and hot, even though it was winter. His satchel was heavy but he needed food and water to survive and bribes. The sixteen year old was not naïve; most people could only be accessible for a fee. Dorian could not have walked to Kent in such a short time, but hitchhiking on several carts had shortened his journey time significantly. 

He knocked on the door and was rudely told to leave, he didn’t care. The servant’s entrance to the house was unlocked and led to the rest of the house via some narrow wooden stairs. Storming in made Dorian understand why he got in to such a grand household easily. The house was in hysteria. 

The wide foyer area was the stage for the performance. The candles were held by most in the room, so Dorian did not have to worry about the fog so much. About twenty people stood around a body, which Dorian quickly identified as Lester Blake’s. Mostly women, they whispered amongst themselves and fluttered their aprons. The men, tried to comfort them or were chatting amongst themselves.

Seeing no one would help him, Dorian knelt by his side and saw the blood seeping which stained his hands. It made Dorian’s hands slippery and when Lester’s head was held upright, the blood covered the top of his blond waves. “Mr Blake! Look at me. Your brother is safe. You have too much to live for. Do not lose consciousness.”

Lester barely heard him, Dorian assumed. The whites of his eyes rolled back and he slumped onto Dorian’s stuffed bag which was on the floor. Dorian panicked. “I need fresh water and a bandage now!”

A butler appeared out of the crowd of servants and stated. He looked haughtily, and although Dorian had been taught prejudgement was wrong, it made him instantly dislike him. The man reminded him of the judge who had condemned his own father to death. His eyes held no sympathy for a dying man and his airs refused that compassion others had. That reminded him of Tommy, who had made him return to such a lonely place. Dorian felt like a scared little child again, one who was going to lose his father. 

“Master Lester has been refused all forms of treatment.”

“On whose authority?” Dorian said as he tapped the man’s cheek gently, trying to rouse him. It did not work and Dorian’s green eyes filled with tears. Guilt racked his mind and turned him unsteady. His thoughts plagued him, unmercifully. You could not save one Blake, now another was dying in your arms. 

“The Master Blake, sir.”

Now Dorian understood. It was not only loyalty to his employer that had spurred Tommy’s good deeds, it was loyalty as a Christian and a decent human being. He felt responsible if this man died, even if these frightened and cowardly people did not. Lester Blake had no obligation to give Dorian employment, an income and effectively a future, but he did. 

In that church, Lester Blake had set alight to his fears. Maybe that’s how God felt to some people. Dorian had not spoken to God in a while, but he asked him now. Will you let a good man die? There was emptiness as he watched Lester’s body go still. This was a man who cared for others, regardless of differences, a man who respected others and lived with the bread God provided for him, but was left alone at his weakest moments.