Chapter 19: Father

Chapter 19: Father. 

The morning fog isolated the small patch of peace, on a bustling morning. It was around a hill with white petals littered on the grass and tombstones leading to a petite church. The cobbled pathway had not made the walk any easier and in fact, weakened anyone who staggered up its broken path. Only the strength of others who broke so easily at the top kept the guests going. 

John Serling's voice was booming over the thunderous winds. There was the constant sobs from Christian who could not understand why they were in church and it was not Sunday. Lester would have scooped up the mite to silence him, but his injuries prevented him from rising from the bench.

Katherine sat beside William. After a faint swooning incident, William had pleaded her to sit on the bench till the end of the service. Katherine had not raised her bowed head since they had entered the garden of paradise. Her hair was matted at her sides, for once conforming to the ringlets and bun which society deemed appropriate for a married woman, clinging to her wet cheeks.  It seemed that way to all those who suffered and were now buried under the rain splattered grass.  Her boots were covered in mud and her dove grey frock coat, which had been tailored from William's own. 

William sadly watched the coffin being lowered. One hand was on the shoulder of Dorian, who was staring at his father's coffin being covered with soil. The young man could barely hide his pain tears streamed down his face and his cheeks burned red from the cold. His pale hands picked up the crumbling soil as it continued to slip from his grasp. 

He felt selfish as this man buried his father, he could barely look at his own. What would this boy give to see his father one last time? The hospitality Lester had shown was barely recognised when Katherine offered to hold a funeral service in his father's honour. He wouldn't be buried as a criminal, but as a child of God. 

Dorian had thanked her repeatedly. Now, that crumpled painting which Dorian had was to be painted again. He would keep it in his bedroom at Lester's residence, where he would live. He was a good companion to Martin, who was now standing at his side as the rain began to patter. Their hair became wet again as the elements cried with them. 

"I'l-I'll miss you papa." Dorian kissed the soil and hugged it, soiling his ghost white shirt, until William pulled the trembling boy off. It was a fight as the melancholy seeped into his skin. He could not compose himself as he was pulled into the embrace of Katherine Blake. 

She held him to her chest as he sobbed. Her own eyes were watery from the proximity to her mother's grave. William had commissioned the grave space, and Katherine knew Sybil would have loved it. It had her name, Sybil Ayim, on a pearl white tombstone. The gold lettering included her status as a slave, but more importantly as a mother and friend.   

When they arrived home, it was late. The guests were gone and Mary had announced that there was a lawyer, who was waiting to see the master. William hated thinking of himself as a master. Being alone for so long, that authority detached him further from most of his friends and subordinates, made him enjoy the company of others. The hateful man had then sauntered into the parlour as Katherine and William read the newspaper together, previously waiting in the library, assuming the lady of the household would have retired at such a late hour by now. 

Katherine disliked him from then. Her feelings had not changed as he began discussing the conclusions of an investigation into William's arrest. He hardly looked at her unless William asked for her opinion and even then, he seemed bored as if it was wasting his time. Now, they were discussing the offer the judge had brought forward.

Since William had been falsely accused of murder, he could have some influence over Watson's sentence. Katherine's heart beat had become rapidly fast as she heard his name being repeated in the conversation. Mr Watson was being detained in Newgate Prison until he could be tried. His accounts had been frozen so he could not leave the country, unless his friends wanted to be tried for perverting the course of justice as well. Furthermore, a shudder went through her body as she heard his treatment towards Mr Blake, her father in law.