Chapter Seven

I was halfway through my shift when I heard my name came across the speaker system and I went to the nurses station to see what was happening. The phone was beeping with a call waiting on hold and I picked it up to answer it.

"Nurse Reyes, how can I help?" I greeted them only to hear my brother's laugh.

"Shit, you can actually sound professional, who knew." Angel said. "Can you leave early and come to the clubhouse? It's important."

I mentally ran through how busy I was and decided it wasn't too much pressure to put on the other nurses on shift. After agreeing to take the rest of the night off I went in search of the Charge Nurse and lied about a family emergency. Soon enough I was heading home to change and found my bathroom window had been fixed while I was out. I should have been concerned about how they were even let in but I assumed a certain sicario was involved, since breaking and entering probably didn't even register as a crime after what he did for a living.

I smiled as I opened and closed the window without an issue before closing it and turning on the light to do my makeup. The whirl of the extractor fan kicked in with the switch and I looked up at the machine in surprise. Nestor really went over the top on that one but his thoughtfulness did make my day. I brushed my hair out from the tight bun it was in for work and rushed out to my car ready for a Saturday night at the clubhouse.

It had been a long time since I was last at the clubhouse, I hadn't actually come here since Ez joined the club, but nothing had changed as I drove through the scrapyard and parked outside the gates. Music was thumping and bodies filled the area, inside and out, looking happier than I had seen any Mayans in a long time. I found Angel first grinning like a fool as he spotted me and he whacked Ez on the arm before pointing my way.

"What's this thing that's so important?" I asked Angel as I finally reached them after swiping a beer from the bar.

"You'll just have to see. Watch this." He said as he pushed off from the bar with a smirk.

I watched curiously as he swaggered over to the woman I met briefly outside Angel's house and frowned as he strode to the front of the room with her.

"Ay, shut the fuck up!" Angel called out to gather everyone's attention. "Like Prez said earlier, we are about to start a new chapter, one that's been a long time coming. Tonight we celebrate our brothers return, welcome a new member to the family and on that note...ladies I am officially off the market."

I stared at the hand he raised up, the hand that brandished my mom's wedding ring, the ring that was meant to be passed down to me. I stood up in shock, ready to march over and pry it off her finger when Ez's hand clamped down on my shoulder, holding me to the barstool.

"Don't ruin this for him." Ez warned as he saluted Angel with his beer bottle.

"Why not? That wasn't his to give away." I growled. "And he ruins everything for you or have you forgotten brunch already?"

"Just smile and congratulate them." Ez growled under his breath. "We both know he's gonna fuck this up before they can make it down the aisle."

I looked at Ez with narrowed eyes and wondered if he actually thought that or was just saying that for my benefit. I couldn't tell but let it drop as Angel came over to us and I got up and went over to Stephanie. I plastered a big smile and gave her a hug so she couldn't see how hard I was struggling to hold onto the grin.

"Well done." I said with a smile. "You have successfully managed to do something countless women have been trying to do for 20 years."

"And what's that?" She asked as she held her hand out for me to look at the ring as if it was something new.