1. What's the Meaning of Life, Everyone

For Haru & Rin with Love

Author KAURO ❀ April/May 2021

YOU'RE MY WATER KAMI

1. What's the meaning of Life, everyone?

Haru went missing.

Makoto has been looking for Haru for several days and when he found him, his world changed forever.

Makoto felt somewhat Zombified. He has been sitting for hours on the old stony stairs, few meters away from his parent's house, not able to lift his body and to move in any direction. His brain was dripping down, cause his best friend, Haru, had shot him in the head, or so. Yeah good, it wasn't that at all, but it felt like this! What's the meaning of life, everyone? Help! It took Makoto three days to notice, that Haru was missing. And strangely No One knew where he was. To Not have been participating in his regular swimming training, leaving behind only a note, that he's going to return soon, appeared very unusual for a swimmer of the National Team. At least one must be seriously injured, and present a proper excuse. This data had been installed into Makoto's system by his mentor, Nao. Freaking him straight out. Makoto had asked around and no one knew where Haru was. He didn't answer his phone, didn't read his line (Japanese WhatsApp) messages for three days. When Makoto called Rin, he had sounded somehow distressed, like his brain was lacking oxygen, caused by spending too long time at the bottom of the ocean.

Yesterday late evening, Makoto had received a line from his mother. Haru was home in Iwatobi. She couldn't tell how long; she just had seen him running outside that late, of course she didn't want to call out on him. Next morning, a nervous Makoto had departed the Shinkansen from Tokyo, rushing to Iwatobi. Originally, they wanted to drive together for the short holiday and go to the annual Obon Festival of Iwatobi. One of the benefits of being in the National Team was, renting fast sports cars, before being 21 years old. That was the only Extra Haru cared about.

When Makoto faced him, Haru looked quite cool, as usual. He had led Makoto in. On the second looking, Makoto noticed certain darkness in Haru's eyes. The light inside was vanished. While stressing about how he had searched for him, Haru had silenced him by telling him, he had slept with someone.

Makoto freaked out; his face color reflected a variety of shades of green from bright to pale. Stumbling over his own shoes, trying to balance himself by grabbing at the shelf, sweeping the things placed on it around, while making overly troubled noises. Strongly flabbergasted, he froze from moving but concentrated on producing further upset noises.

That particular someone had the power to ruin everything for Haru in the National Swimming team. Maybe even on every thinkable level, Makoto thought. Haru had been seeing him off, simply turning away, stating: he wanted to be alone.

This happened earlier, who knew how long he has been sitting empty minded, watching the sky turning from bright pink to velvety dark. A full august moon bathed the old stony stairs in silver light. His head was empty, as for his brain had dropped already out. Only few steps to his home, but Makoto didn't move. Luckily his parents and siblings didn't notice he's been near the house, as they were expecting him to return tomorrow. To face all of his emotions, especially the hidden within ones, he had to be remarkable brave. Maybe he had noticed those vibes when it came to this person already in the past, or beneath the surface, all the time?!

There must be a way! Makoto started gathering himself. New brain had begun to grow already. Afterwards it was about Haru, his best friend since forever. There must be a way! Besides, Haru had said, he wanted what has happened. Just the way how he had said it, sounded too intense. I slept with Rin. I mean, I fucked Rin.

They all have been friends since forever, he cared sincerely for both of them.

A sudden sound of approaching steps crazed Makoto out of his senses. No one is supposed to walk there, apart from him and Haru. As for only their homes stood close by. This particular festival had its own scary stories. A cold chill let him shiver all at once. Woah; - A GHOST?! Gasp. Stare.

Long, sporty legs dressed in dark skinny jeans and black Nike free-runs, an athletic body wearing a grumbled white shirt, appeared in the dark before him. A flying jacket passed him by, landing on the stairs. Rin sank next to him buried his head, breathing uneven, seemingly sobbing almost without a sound.

GASP. May I help ... you? Makoto asked in a very low voice.

No, I'm fine. Rin looked up. His face remained hidden in the dark, his white shirt reflecting the moon beams, his longer hair; bonded, drying his tears by dabbing his face in a boyish manner, using the sleeves of his white shirt.

Haru's home, Makoto said. Rin nodded. Haven't seen him, haven't talked to him since... Makoto nodded, understanding: talked to him for a minute, since then, I've been sitting here for hours ...

They sat in silence for some time. I'm here for you. Both of You are my best friends. 

I... Rin spoke calm, although sounding heavy-heartedly:

I might have lost the Love of my Life. I have to know.

Gasp. Silence.

Then you have to try, only then you'll know. Makoto beckoned all his bravery, converting it into confidence, sounding poised and encouraging. Inwardly he trembled with angst.

Rin took a deep breath, slapping his palms on his legs, he stood up facing Haru's home. The slide doors to the patio seemed open. Some pale light shone inside the living room.

Rin's energy had spread around. If it had been visible, the whole area would have been glowing in bright red. He stood like a soldier aiming towards a battle of glory. See you, Rin grabbed his jacket, stepping forwards and upwards to Haru.

Shortly some banging noise came from inside the house, sounding like wooden things have been shoved; Woah! What the hell... are they fighting?! Also, two aroused voices sounded from upwards, causing him hot and cold chills. Makoto jumped up hurrying home, to safe his psyche. He went in without caring about being silent anymore, heading straight to that shelf where the sake and other bottles of his parents stood. Makoto drank straight from the first random bottle he had grabbed. Burnt by the liquor he drank few more times. The heat increased within, messing up his empty stomach and his new grown brain. Hoping this would erase what he had just heard, out of his system. Where's the delete button? Delete! Gulp! Delete! Gulp! Delete! Gulp! ... Swoosh!