Chapter 5 - Dinner with a Vampire part 1

A new twilight began to dawn, the sun gradually beginning to disappear on the horizon behind the chain of snow-capped mountains, real giant teeth of rock similar to a great natural barrier which encircled the valley. A sea of gray clouds had gathered, and a rain of snowflakes had started falling since several minutes, thickening the already heavy layer covering the ground and the trees.

Returning to her personal quarters, located in the great north tower of the castle, Lady Dimitrescu was now seated on her large velvet chair, facing her white dresser and her large mirror with a golden outline. In silence, and in the candlelight as well as that emitted by the flames of her fireplace, she looked at her hairstyle, then the complexion of her face. Then she took her lipstick from in front of her and applied some carefully to her lips, seeing that it was starting to fade a bit. There was a glass with blood on it next to her, but she didn't look like she wanted to touch it for now.

Then, after putting on the lipstick, the Countess grabbed her comb and adjusted the ends of her hair a little, making sure they were still curly. A knock on her door was then heard.

_"Come in." she said in a calm voice but imbued with the authority that made her character, without looking away from the mirror and continuing to do her hair.

The door opened and let in one of the countess' daughters, the one wearing her red stone necklace. The latter walked smoothly to the middle of the room, on the large rug decorated with the coat of arms of the Dimitrescu house, and with clasped hands, politely waited.

_ "Yes, Bela. What do you want?" Lady Dimitrescu asked, finishing with her hair and putting the comb back.

_ "Dinner will be ready soon, mother." Bela replied. "Daniela and Cassandra went down to the dungeons to look for the young mortal, as you ordered."

At these words, Lady Dimitrescu gave a sinister smirk, and rose calmly from her seat, checking one last time for any folds in the fabric of her dress, putting her black gloves and put her white pearl adornment around her neck.

_ "Mother, you are beautiful, as always." Bela commented then, admiring the countess as if she were the most magnificent woman in the world.

_"Thank you sweetie." Dimitrescu replied with a smile and a loving look towards her.

And finally, after she judged that everything was perfect according to her vision of things, Lady Dimitrescu went to the clothes rack next to the wardrobe, and took her wide-brimmed hat which she put back on her head.

_ "Right. Let's not make our dear distinguished guest wait any longer." Lady Dimitrescu joked darkly as she walked towards the door out of her room, followed by Bela who accompanied her mother's joke with a sly laugh.

*************

Meanwhile, Mathias was once again sitting on that rotten old mattress, deep in that shitty, dark cell, damp and smelling of death, blood and piss. Sitting, his face sunk into his folded legs, he had been silent since he had been brought here by the Dimitrescu girls, after that first escape attempt which had completely messed up. Evasion? My ass, he told himself in his head. It had only been a devious game orchestrated by the three witches for entertainment. Besides, how could he have thought for a single second to be able to flee, in the face of beings endowed with capacities which exceeded the very laws of reality?

As he brooded over this bitter failure, Mathias winced in embarrassment as he rubbed his still sore throat by Dimitrescu's superhuman grip, when she lifted him off the ground as if he was no heavier than a ten gram bag. If she had wanted to, she could have broken his neck or crushed his windpipe with a simple gesture, but she hadn't.