Chapter 27 - Resident Evilove

A week had now passed since the battle. Miranda was finally dead, along with the black god, buried forever in the bowels of the mountain. Never again would anyone be able to use the mold of this parasitic colony to create new mutant weapons. The valley would make sure to keep forever this terrible secret that had already done so much harm.

Following the battle and Miranda's death, the lycans had dispersed again throughout the village and valley, deprived of a leader to become wild creatures again but nevertheless subject to the remaining lords. Salvatore Moreau's death also had consequences, in particular on his territory, the large artificial lake located to the south of the valley. Now a neutral place, the shores of the lake had quickly been invaded by a large colony of lycans who had settled their new territory there.

Lady Donna Beneviento had returned to her estate, a house owned by her family for generations, located on the edge of a cliff near a large waterfall, behind the forest to the west of the valley. Lord Karl Heisenberg, too, had returned to his domain, the Great Factory, with the survivors of his army of mechanical zombie soldiers. As for Mathias, he had returned with Lady Alcina to the great castle Dimitrescu. The battle against Miranda had left some jolts in the minds of the lords.

During this week, the time for calm and balance to gradually return to this valley, Mathias had not left the castle, not having the mind to that, and had forced himself to get used to it little by little. The battle had not been without consequences, for one side as for the other. Daniela's death was a blow to Mathias when he learned of it, and he had greatly supported Alcina, Bela and Cassandra in the mourning. He had eventually developed sympathy for the three sisters, and he was very sorry for the loss. Unfortunately, there were no victories without sacrifices.

At the start of this new graying afternoon, lit by a shy sun half hidden by clouds, Mathias was in the room that had been lent to him by Lady Dimitrescu, even if for the past few days he had been sleeping with her all the time in her personal apartments. Now, this room was generally only used by him for dressing, to store his things or to wash in the small bathroom in the adjoining room.

The young man approached the mirror hung on the wall above the small desk, and looked at himself. Now become a lord and being at Lady Alcina's side, Mathias had made a point of being a little presentable. He was dressed in a black shirt, with an old-fashioned black frock coat over it. He also wore black pants, mittens and black boots. Looking at himself dressed like this, Mathias almost felt like a character from a gothic steampunk universe, but it suited him. He had trimmed his mustache and goatee a little, and had tied his long hair in a ponytail that fell to the back of his neck. Then he walked in silence to look out of his bedroom window, which offered a clear and splendid view over the village and the valley, surrounded by these forests and mountains, still covered by snow in this harsh winter. He was thoughtful while contemplating this magnificent landscape, and which even today, seemed unreal to him, as part of another world.

He, who until two months ago was a simple amateur writer, outcast, struggling to have to look for a job, and now, was now the heir of an ancestral power transmitted by the blood of his family, and also the lover of a beautiful vampire countess from a great noble family. Fate had very strange ideas sometimes, Mathias thought to himself, but that made him smile softly.

He looked at his hand for a moment. The burning pain in his blood had finally faded, and his eyes had turned human again. Eventually he had started to adjust to this special blood flowing in his veins, and made him a ... frankly, he wasn't too sure what he was now and if there was a word to describe a being like him.

Before, he would have done anything to leave this place to return to his life before. But deep down, what was left of his previous life? What could he expect from society now? His mother was the last thing that held him back in this closed-minded and ruthless human society. After thinking it over, he had made up his mind. He had found his new home, and the love of his life, an excellent reason to stay here. Yes ... he didn't want to leave anymore. I am at home here, he told himself with conviction.